* Git repositories
@ 2015-01-26 21:24 David Mohr
From: David Mohr @ 2015-01-26 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bcache; +Cc: robie.basak

Hi,

in discussions around the Debian packaging the question came up why
   http://evilpiepirate.org/git/bcache-tools.git/
is the official repository when it seems like the current stable
development takes place in
   https://github.com/g2p/bcache-tools

Would it be possible to merge Gabriel's work back into the main
repository so that we can refer to evilpiepirate.org as the definitive
upstream? If not, what's the relationship between the repositories?

Thanks,
~David

* Re: Git repositories
@ 2015-01-26 21:45 ` Kent Overstreet
From: Kent Overstreet @ 2015-01-26 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Mohr, Rolf Fokkens; +Cc: linux-bcache, robie.basak

Yeah - but do you suppose you could coordinate with the Fedora package
maintainer, Rolf Fokkens - and make sure pulling that stuff works for
him? Or if you guys have different patches, just let me know where I
can pull them from.

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 1:24 PM, David Mohr <damailings@mcbf.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in discussions around the Debian packaging the question came up why
>   http://evilpiepirate.org/git/bcache-tools.git/
> is the official repository when it seems like the current stable development
> takes place in
>   https://github.com/g2p/bcache-tools
>
> Would it be possible to merge Gabriel's work back into the main repository
> so that we can refer to evilpiepirate.org as the definitive upstream? If
> not, what's the relationship between the repositories?
>
> Thanks,
> ~David

* Re: Git repositories
@ 2015-01-26 23:26   ` Rolf Fokkens
From: Rolf Fokkens @ 2015-01-26 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kent Overstreet, David Mohr; +Cc: linux-bcache, robie.basak

Well, to be honest I built the latest Fedora bcache-tools packages based
on https://github.com/g2p/bcache-tools. So I'm perfectly happy with
what's in it. If all of g2p's repo is merged into
http://evilpiepirate.org/git/bcache-tools.git/ I'll use that one as my
source repo again.

So far I've been collaborating with Gabriel (g2p) using his Github repo
as the starting point, assuming that's the one that will be pushed to
evilpieprate in the end. At the moment though there are 3 pull requests
pending (one of me) that don't get g2p's attention, I guess he's busy
with other things. So I'll post my latest pull request here on the
mailing list, so it can be discussed and Kent can decide if he wants to
merge it.

On 01/26/2015 10:45 PM, Kent Overstreet wrote:
> Yeah - but do you suppose you could coordinate with the Fedora package
> maintainer, Rolf Fokkens - and make sure pulling that stuff works for
> him? Or if you guys have different patches, just let me know where I
> can pull them from.
>
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 1:24 PM, David Mohr <damailings@mcbf.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> in discussions around the Debian packaging the question came up why
>>    http://evilpiepirate.org/git/bcache-tools.git/
>> is the official repository when it seems like the current stable development
>> takes place in
>>    https://github.com/g2p/bcache-tools
>>
>> Would it be possible to merge Gabriel's work back into the main repository
>> so that we can refer to evilpiepirate.org as the definitive upstream? If
>> not, what's the relationship between the repositories?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> ~David
>> --

* Re: Git repositories
@ 2015-01-26 23:37     ` Kent Overstreet
From: Kent Overstreet @ 2015-01-26 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rolf Fokkens; +Cc: David Mohr, linux-bcache, robie.basak

Ok, I just merged from him and pushed.

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 3:26 PM, Rolf Fokkens <rolf@rolffokkens.nl> wrote:
> Well, to be honest I built the latest Fedora bcache-tools packages based on
> https://github.com/g2p/bcache-tools. So I'm perfectly happy with what's in
> it. If all of g2p's repo is merged into
> http://evilpiepirate.org/git/bcache-tools.git/ I'll use that one as my
> source repo again.
>
> So far I've been collaborating with Gabriel (g2p) using his Github repo as
> the starting point, assuming that's the one that will be pushed to
> evilpieprate in the end. At the moment though there are 3 pull requests
> pending (one of me) that don't get g2p's attention, I guess he's busy with
> other things. So I'll post my latest pull request here on the mailing list,
> so it can be discussed and Kent can decide if he wants to merge it.
>

> On 01/26/2015 10:45 PM, Kent Overstreet wrote:
>>
>> Yeah - but do you suppose you could coordinate with the Fedora package
>> maintainer, Rolf Fokkens - and make sure pulling that stuff works for
>> him? Or if you guys have different patches, just let me know where I
>> can pull them from.
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 1:24 PM, David Mohr <damailings@mcbf.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> in discussions around the Debian packaging the question came up why
>>>    http://evilpiepirate.org/git/bcache-tools.git/
>>> is the official repository when it seems like the current stable
>>> development
>>> takes place in
>>>    https://github.com/g2p/bcache-tools
>>>
>>> Would it be possible to merge Gabriel's work back into the main
>>> repository
>>> so that we can refer to evilpiepirate.org as the definitive upstream? If
>>> not, what's the relationship between the repositories?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> ~David
>>> --
>>> in

* Re: Git repositories
@ 2015-01-27  7:00       ` David Mohr
From: David Mohr @ 2015-01-27  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kent Overstreet; +Cc: Rolf Fokkens, linux-bcache, robie.basak

On 2015-01-26 16:37, Kent Overstreet wrote:
> Ok, I just merged from him and pushed.

Great, thanks for getting that worked out so quickly!

The merge doesn't import the tags though. I think it make sense to set
those in the evilpiepierate's repository as well:

g2p$ git show-ref --tags -d
8b3e39e0525df37dfbc840e49f2f5a4069b34a1f refs/tags/v1.0.1
0c7a484a5b09d710814451c06ad30e894deb7ff5 refs/tags/v1.0.2
4ff504e17b032b75f6d5546ec190c834ac69af8c refs/tags/v1.0.3
15f17ed3e9a8dbe44a0e60cd981f70b7a61d6f7a refs/tags/v1.0.4
ba2c1352365122b3b730de960896bd89020f6c06 refs/tags/v1.0.5
0aeb7a0a38c26d2da09c364148b037de7deeb7e5 refs/tags/v1.0.6
25016feee1aab63c4cdc1188bae40e481d6b17c1 refs/tags/v1.0.7
a73679b22c333763597d39c72112ef5a53f55419 refs/tags/v1.0.8

> On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 3:26 PM, Rolf Fokkens <rolf@rolffokkens.nl>
> wrote:
>> Well, to be honest I built the latest Fedora bcache-tools packages
>> based on
>> https://github.com/g2p/bcache-tools. So I'm perfectly happy with
>> what's in
>> it. If all of g2p's repo is merged into
>> http://evilpiepirate.org/git/bcache-tools.git/ I'll use that one as my
>> source repo again.

Thanks for the quick feedback. FWIW, the debian packaging was also built
upon g2p's repository. But now that there's the active bcache-dev branch
on the evilpiepirate repository, and the website always refered to that
repository as well, it was confusing. It seems better to coordinate in
one central place. We will from now on use evilpiepirate's repository as
upstream for the Debian packages.

>> So far I've been collaborating with Gabriel (g2p) using his Github
>> repo as
>> the starting point, assuming that's the one that will be pushed to
>> evilpieprate in the end. At the moment though there are 3 pull
>> requests
>> pending (one of me) that don't get g2p's attention, I guess he's busy
>> with
>> other things. So I'll post my latest pull request here on the mailing
>> list,
>> so it can be discussed and Kent can decide if he wants to merge it.

I'm assuming Gabriel is on the ML? I'd say he should have a chance to
merge the remaining pull requests - if he doesn't, or says that he
doesn't want to, then I will post them here on the ML manually for
consideration. The Debian packages don't currently use any patches.

~David

>> On 01/26/2015 10:45 PM, Kent Overstreet wrote:
>>>
>>> Yeah - but do you suppose you could coordinate with the Fedora
>>> package
>>> maintainer, Rolf Fokkens - and make sure pulling that stuff works for
>>> him? Or if you guys have different patches, just let me know where I
>>> can pull them from.

* Re: Git repositories
@ 2015-01-27 22:01         ` Kent Overstreet
From: Kent Overstreet @ 2015-01-27 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Mohr; +Cc: Rolf Fokkens, linux-bcache, robie.basak, g2p.code

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 12:00:31AM -0700, David Mohr wrote:
> On 2015-01-26 16:37, Kent Overstreet wrote:
> >Ok, I just merged from him and pushed.
>
> Great, thanks for getting that worked out so quickly!
>
> The merge doesn't import the tags though. I think it make sense to set those
> in the evilpiepierate's repository as well:

Ok, tags are pushed too now.

> >On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 3:26 PM, Rolf Fokkens <rolf@rolffokkens.nl> wrote:
> >>Well, to be honest I built the latest Fedora bcache-tools packages based
> >>on
> >>https://github.com/g2p/bcache-tools. So I'm perfectly happy with what's
> >>in
> >>it. If all of g2p's repo is merged into
> >>http://evilpiepirate.org/git/bcache-tools.git/ I'll use that one as my
> >>source repo again.
>
> Thanks for the quick feedback. FWIW, the debian packaging was also built
> upon g2p's repository. But now that there's the active bcache-dev branch on
> the evilpiepirate repository, and the website always refered to that
> repository as well, it was confusing. It seems better to coordinate in one
> central place. We will from now on use evilpiepirate's repository as
> upstream for the Debian packages.

I'm still probably going to be fairly absent for the next couple months
unfortunately - if you guys are happy with what Gabriel is doing I'm fine with
him continuing to maintain bcache tools.

I can give him or someone access to push to my bcache-tools repository so you
guys aren't blocked if I'm off somewhere ignoring email :)

> >>So far I've been collaborating with Gabriel (g2p) using his Github repo
> >>as
> >>the starting point, assuming that's the one that will be pushed to
> >>evilpieprate in the end. At the moment though there are 3 pull requests
> >>pending (one of me) that don't get g2p's attention, I guess he's busy
> >>with
> >>other things. So I'll post my latest pull request here on the mailing
> >>list,
> >>so it can be discussed and Kent can decide if he wants to merge it.
>
> I'm assuming Gabriel is on the ML? I'd say he should have a chance to merge
> the remaining pull requests - if he doesn't, or says that he doesn't want
> to, then I will post them here on the ML manually for consideration. The
> Debian packages don't currently use any patches.

I would like to see the pull requests (and patches too, ideally) posted on the
mailing list too - just with git send-email. Pull requests are fine, it's just
nice see the patch on the list too.