kernel-package is maintained by Manoj Srivastava (cc'd), not by the Debian kernel team. On Thu, 2019-03-07 at 01:00 +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote: > Since commit 3812b8c5c5d5 ("kbuild: make -r/-R effective in top > Makefile for old Make versions"), make-kpkg is not working. > > make-kpkg directly includes the top Makefile of Linux kernel, and > appends some debian_* targets. > > /usr/share/kernel-package/ruleset/kernel_version.mk: > > # Include the kernel makefile > override dot-config := 1 > include Makefile > dot-config := 1 > > I did not know the kernel Makefile was used in that way, and it is > hard to guarantee the behavior when the kernel Makefile is included > by another Makefile from a different project. > > Looks like Debian Stretch stopped providing make-kpkg (except PowerPC). kernel-package is not included in stretch at all. I'm not sure where you're seeing it as being present on powerpc - that architecture wasn't included in the stretch release. > Maybe it is obsolete and being replaced with 'make deb-pkg' etc. > but still widely used. [...] kernel-package is currently planned to be included in the next release, though I'm not sure whether it should be. There is another bug report about kernel-package with current kernel versions but I don't know whether it has been worked around already. Ben. -- Ben Hutchings friends: People who know you well, but like you anyway.