I like both JSON and dot syntax. But I like them differently in different places. I love JSON when it's in some file where I can turn out syntax highlighting and let my $EDITOR match brackets and braces. I hate JSON when it's on the command line. You have to escape, you get strings in strings, and at least for QMP you sometimes even get strings in strings in strings (yes, I like my "echo | qemu -qmp stdio" with human-monitor-command). Apart from that, usually I don't format anything nicely on the command line anyway, so JSON and dot syntax are equally illegible then. JSON is great for reading, when formatted correctly. If it's not formatted nicely and you don't have a good editor with highlighting, it's pretty bad. It's good for writing in an editor. It's not so nice for writing in a shell. OTOH, it's hard to read dot syntax when formatted correctly and it's just as bad as JSON when it isn't. But even if you have an editor at hand, you can't make it better. It's very easy to write dot syntax, however. Just write down what you want. Oh, forgot a parameter for that dict three arrays ago? Just write it down now. Doesn't matter where you put it. How many braces do I need to close now? Oh, right, I don't need to close any. Nice! So dot syntax is pretty much a write-only syntax. But it's very good at that. On the command line I absolutely adore the dot syntax. It doesn't force you to quote, you can put everything anywhere and you don't need to count braces. I love it. However, nobody can read what you wrote. Usually doesn't matter. But for docs, that's bad. For scripts, it depends, but again, it usually is bad. For configuration files, there is pretty much no excuse. So in general, I'm very skeptic about dot syntax in files, to say the least. So I think it would be good to allow full-JSON configuration. Put it in a file, great. But at the same time, I do not think that JSON is good for the command line. Dot syntax works fine and in my opinion it often doesn't actually matter whether it's legible or not. I don't like structured values very much because to me they are just "JSON light". Well, you don't have to quote keys and values (so no "string in string" mess), but other than that you still have to quote everything and you still have to count braces. Max PS: I personally actually think that structured representations such as JSON may in some situations be less legible than the dot syntax if you do not have syntax highlighting and it's not formatted nicely; and that's because you have to count braces not just when writing but also when reading. Imagine the following: a.b.c.d.e.f=42,a.b.c.g=23 {"a":{"b":{"c":{"d":{"e":{"f":42}}},"g":23}}} I can read the first one much better than the second one. Of course, that's different with nice formatting and a good editor, but the above is how I would write it on the command line. I know it's a fabricated example and you'd just need to switch "g" and "d", but "}}}}}}" actually makes me a bit dizzy, so that may be even worse. Anyway, I just wanted to make the point that I think that compact JSON and dot syntax are both pretty much illegible.