From: "Nikolai Kondrashov" <Nikolai.Kondrashov@redhat.com>
To: kernelci@groups.io, richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org,
	"automated-testing@yoctoproject.org"
	<automated-testing@yoctoproject.org>
Cc: Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Automated-testing] KCIDB engagement report #kcidb
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 14:46:24 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Richard,

On 1/21/21 1:01 PM, Richard Purdie wrote:
 > On Thu, 2021-01-21 at 12:07 +0200, Nikolai Kondrashov wrote:
 >> Please respond with corrections or suggestions of other CI systems to contact.
 >
 > I noticed Yocto Project isn't mentioned here but we do a lot of builds
 > of complete systems for multiple architectures and we include kernels
 > in those. We probably have two kernel versions under testing in any
 > given project release series.
 >
 > Would it be useful to get data from us? If so, what kind of data?

Absolutely! Thanks for reaching out :)

 > We're generally building linux-yocto from:
 > https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/linux-yocto/
 > which is derived from upstream kernel releases as their baseline.
 >
 > Testing wise, we build them, then usually boot them under qemu with a
 > variety of userspaces. We also run ltp, some lsb and the tests from a
 > variety of projects like lttng.
 >
 > An example output report we use is:
 >
 > https://autobuilder.yocto.io/pub/non-release/20210120-9/testresults/testresult-report.txt
 >
 > So far I'd assumed you were interested in bleeding edge kernel CI but
 > if there is interest around general kernel testing of older kernels, we
 > do have a lot of data. There are some details we don't currently log
 > (e.g. which kernel version in in a given test target) but we can change
 > that if we need it.

Wow, that's a lot of tests, very cool!

We would definitely welcome reports for older kernel versions as well.
Any data helping track down issues is welcome.

We could use build/test results, and logs.

It would help if you could separate the upstream commit your branches are
based on and the patches you apply on top, and identify them separately.
However, it's OK if you can't, only mention the base version (e.g. using "git
describe"), and otherwise refer to your own repo and commits directly.

In any case, that would be good enough for the start. We're still in research
stage (and will be for a while), trying to bring the data from various sources
together and do something with it.

Our strategy is get the data first, organize later :)

We would be glad to have you on board and sending whatever data you have.

Please take a look at our Submission HOWTO for an overview of how things work:

     https://github.com/kernelci/kcidb/blob/main/SUBMISSION_HOWTO.md

If you'd like to try it out, I can send you credentials and parameters for
submitting to our "playground" instance. You can submit data there (either
manually or automatically) and experiment freely without worrying about
breaking anything. The data will appear on this dashboard (GKernelCI is
currently submitting there):

     https://staging.kernelci.org:3000/d/home/home?var-dataset=playground_kernelci04

Once you're confident with how things work, it would only take a permission
tweak on my side and one parameter change on your side to switch to
production.

Don't hesitate to ping us on the maillist,
or on the freenode's #kernelci channel!

Nick