From: Mark Hatle <mark.hatle@kernel.crashing.org>
To: openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org
Subject: Re: [OE-core] user/group XXX does not exist, using root with RPM/DNF packaging in Hardknott and Honister
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 12:17:46 -0500	[thread overview]

On 9/24/21 9:02 AM, Zoltan Boszormenyi via lists.openembedded.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a special package that creates users and groups
> via inherit useradd. This package doesn't depend on any
> others but it is depended on, both via DEPENDS and RDEPENDS
> by packages using those users/groups in their do_install
> scripts.
>
> This works for packaging becase these ownerships
> are encoded in the packages, confirmed by rpm -qp --dump ...

Does it show the useradd in the _PREINSTALL_ (you can use --scriptlets in the
rpm -qp)?

> However, during do_rootfs, a couple of
> "user/group XXX does not exist, using root"
> messages appear for the packages depending on others
> creating these users/groups.

Do the using packages contain RDEPENDS on the package that adds the user/group
to the system?

> log.do_rootfs shows that the package installation ordering
> does not follow RDEPENDS. Instead, it's practically an
> alphabetical order when running dnf.
>
> This doesn't just involve my custom packages, but also clamav
> plus another one in which I ship a small limited set of
> virus signatures, also chown'd to clamav and with RDEPENDS
> on clamav.
>
> What is the correct solution to this?

Typically the combination of the pre-install scriptlet, along with RDEPENDS will
ensure that the user has been added before the install completes.

--Mark