From: Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com>
To: John Snow <jsnow@redhat.com>, QEMU Developers <qemu-devel@nongnu.org>
Cc: "Peter Maydell" <peter.maydell@linaro.org>,
	"Daniel P. Berrangé" <berrange@redhat.com>,
	"Paolo Bonzini" <pbonzini@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Gitlab Issue Tracker - Proposed Workflow
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 10:49:32 +0200	[thread overview]

On 04/05/2021 20.33, John Snow wrote:
[...]
> - Gitlab will automatically close issues that reference the gitlab issue
> tracker from the commit message, but it won't apply the "Merged" label, so
> it's at risk of falling out of sync.
>
> Closed issues retain their "Workflow::" labels, but won't show up in the
> issue search by default unless you ask to include closed issues as well.
>
> I think we can likely just drop this label, and have bugs go directly from
> whatever state they're in to "Closed". The issue board will look cleaner and
> there's less custodial work for maintainers.
>
> - Similarly to the above concern, "Released" is extra paperwork for us to
> maintain.
Others replied already, but I wanted to add some of my personal views here,
too: Hunting down the issues to close them after we published a new release
was a very tedious and time consuming task. Most people simply forget to
close tickets that they've opened or solved. So I was always doing most of
the dirty work here, using a script to hunt down bug URLs in commit messages
and looking for bugs that were stuck in "Fix committed" state - but
honestly, I feel like I've also got better things to do in my spare time.
So from my point of view: Let's close bugs automatically with the
"Resolves:" keyword in the commit messages. I think users are smart enough
to realize that the fix will then be available with the next release. So we
really don't need a "Merged" and "Release" state anymore and I vote for
dropping them.

  Thomas