On 11/07/2019 09.10, Andrey Zhunev wrote: > > Thursday, July 11, 2019, 5:47:36 AM, you wrote: ... >>> So I wiped them with hdparm: >>> # hdparm --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing --write-sector /dev/sda > >> This has always eluded me. How did you know the sector numbers? > > > When you use ddrescue (or any other tool) to try and read the data > and there is a read error, an error message is added to your kernel > log. You can find the sector number there: Ah, ok, yes, I see. Thanks :-) ... >>> I then re-read all these sectors, and they were all read correctly. >>> >>> The number of pending sectors reported by SMART dropped down to 7. >>> Interestingly, there are still NO reallocated sectors reported. > >> I suspect that the figure SMART reports only starts to rise after some >> unknown amount of sectors have been remapped, so when the numbers >> actually appear there, it is serious. > > Hmmm, this is an interesting thought! > Everybody lies... :) It is either that, or the number has a multiplier, and starts counting at one hundred, two hundred... I don't know. -- Cheers / Saludos, Carlos E. R. (from 15.0 x86_64 at Telcontar)