On 01/19/2018 08:35 AM, Marc-Andre Lureau wrote: >>>> dump-guest-memory.py: fix python 2 support (2018-01-17 15:47:14 +0100) >>>> >>> >>> The commit says it works with python 2.7, but we still require support >>> for python 2.6. Is this pull request premature? >> >> So should I apply this, or not? > > I have not found how to translate a python 'buffer' to a bytes string > in 2.6. For now, I think we should go with this patch, it's already an > improvement.. Argument in favor of applying: dump-guest-memory.py is not run as part of the build process, nor during 'make check'; rather, it is an add-on script for developer convenience after installation. If we apply the patch, we break developers on machines using python 2.6, but fix things for developers on machines with python 3 - and as time (and Fedora rawhide) march on, the balance swings in favor of the latter. I personally am not enough of a python expert to propose a fix that works across all versions supported by configure, but it was Marc-Andre reminding me on IRC that this is not a build script, so it can have different standards than our build when it comes to portability. -- Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer Red Hat, Inc. +1-919-301-3266 Virtualization: qemu.org | libvirt.org