On 11/29/2016 02:15 PM, Dale Corlett wrote: > Hi, > > Thank you all for your replies. > > Jim, I think that I will first try the AIO first, and then try > writing the userspace driver and bdev module. I am not sure of what I > should do with the config files, or how to get the .ko file for the > AIO module. Is there a makefile that gets the .ko module file or do I > have to create one? > > Also, when trying to use ./scripts/setup.sh I found that it did not > work because I got then message: "logname: no login name". I think > that this is a problem with the 16.04 version of Ubuntu: > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-terminal/+bug/1537645 > so I changed line 177 to: username= `echo whoami` and this seems to > work. > > Thanks, Dale Hi Dale, You do not need any special kernel modules to use the SPDK AIO bdev - it uses the libaio userspace library provided by glibc and the block devices that are exposed by the usual kernel drivers for any block device that is supported by Linux. Thanks for the report about logname - I'll prepare a patch to work around that issue. The only time the username provided by logname is used is to provide access to an unprivileged user to the VFIO device, so if you are running the programs using SPDK as root, there should have no negative effect. Thanks, -- Daniel