From: Rao Shoaib <rao.shoaib at oracle.com>
To: mptcp at lists.01.org
Subject: Re: [MPTCP] Separating MPTCP packet processing from TCP
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 09:39:09 -0700	[thread overview]

On 05/15/2017 09:59 PM, Christoph Paasch wrote:
> Hello Rao,
>
> On 15/05/17 - 18:16:36, Rao Shoaib wrote:
>> I am thinking the cleanest implementation would be to separate MPTCP
>> processing from TCP. On the receive side, when a packet arrives TCP only
>> does TCP processing (That leaves the code untouched), the packet is than
>> passed upto MPTCP which does MPTCP processing and can either process the
>> packet, drop it or send a reset.
>>
>> The current implementation is doing receive processing in TCP because it
>> wants to validate the packet and accept it in TCP  or not -- but why ? that
>> seems to be an implementation choice.
> you can look at mptcp_handle_options for the conditions upon which we stop
> processing the segment, when coming from tcp_validate_incoming. For example,
> when a MP_FASTCLOSE is received, the subflow gets killed with a TCP-RST.
>
> The same holds when receiving a DSS-option without DSS-checksum although the
> DSS-checksum has been negotiated.
>

> The question would be, whether we can delay the killing of the subflow &
> sending of the RST until later. This would mean that the packet gets
> completely handled (acks processed, incoming data acknowledged,...)
> by the TCP-stack and later on the subflow gets killed.
> This *might* be ok from a protocol-perspective, but I'm not sure.
Hi Christoph,

That is exactly what I am suggesting. I know this is fine from the
protocol perspective and I don't see why it can not be implemented. That
will leave the TCP code untouched on the receive side and make the
upstream guys happy because that is the fast path. Last night I was
looking at the control path, that needs to be cleaned up also but that
is the slow path.

>> In the case where the receiver drops the packet in MPTCP, no data ack will
>> be sent and MPTCP will re-transmit, It can retransmit even on the same flow.
>> To achieve this the code requires some change as the DSS option has to be
>> saved. I think this is doable and is a much cleaner solution.
> For incoming data, that's already how it is handled. We pass the segment to
> the MPTCP-stack through the sk_data_ready callback, where we go over the
> segments, check whether their DSS-checksum is correct, check if it is
> in-window,... And if all is good, queue it at the MPTCP-level and send a
> DATA_ACK.
Yes. However the MPTCP options are parsed and mptcp_flags and dss offset
are extracted, no need to do that. Let MPTCP handle it. It's not a lot
of overhead and leaves the TCP code clean. This also removes the
requirement of trying to find space in  tcp_skb_cb to pass any
information to MPTCP.

Regards,

Rao.