On 04/19/2018 10:01 AM, Marc-André Lureau wrote: > All QObject types have the base QObject as their first field. This > allows the simplification of qobject_to(). > > This explicitly guarantees that existing casts work correctly (even > though we'd prefer to get rid of such casts in any location except the > qobject.h macros) > > Signed-off-by: Marc-André Lureau > Reviewed-by: Eric Blake My R-b stands that this is correct from a coding point of view. But if I read Markus' review correctly, we could omit this patch, fix the one broken client in tests/check-qdict.c to use qobject_to() (why didn't you fix that in v6)?, and then just apply patches 2-5 without this patch, with no change in behavior and where we are no longer dependent on using offset 0 (even though all current instances do). So, I'll leave that to maintainer discretion. -- Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer Red Hat, Inc. +1-919-301-3266 Virtualization: qemu.org | libvirt.org