* [Qemu-devel] qemu bluetooth support
@ 2019-03-02 12:46 Daryl Oliver
From: Daryl Oliver @ 2019-03-02 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hello there I don't know if this is till valid but I thought I should
mention my use cases for the bluetooth option in qemu.

Use case would be using Bluetooth controllers for gaming on kvm qemu since
I don't know if kvm would be able to use my hosts Bluetooth chip or emulate
one. since I manily use the windows port of qemu.
But my other use case would be using Bluetooth speakers or headphones.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu bluetooth support
@ 2019-03-05  8:05 ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2019-03-05  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daryl Oliver, qemu-devel
  Cc: Gerd Hoffmann, Paolo Bonzini, Peter Maydell, Daniel P. Berrangé

On 02/03/2019 13.46, Daryl Oliver wrote:
> Hello there I don't know if this is till valid but I thought I should
> mention my use cases for the bluetooth option in qemu.
>
> Use case would be using Bluetooth controllers for gaming on kvm qemu since
> I don't know if kvm would be able to use my hosts Bluetooth chip or emulate
> one. since I manily use the windows port of qemu.
> But my other use case would be using Bluetooth speakers or headphones.

 Hi!

Thanks for your report! Do you mean you are already using bluetooth for
your KVM guest, or you just would like to use it (since you wrote "would
be" and not "is")?
In the first case, could you please elaborate on your set up? Which
hardware are you exactly passing through to the guest, which parameters
are you using for starting QEMU, which version of QEMU are you using, is
it working without problems, etc. ?
I ask because currently, I don't know anybody who is still using
bluetooth passthrough with a recent version of QEMU, so it would be very
interesting to know whether this still works at all or not...

 Thanks,
  Thomas

* Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu bluetooth support
@ 2019-03-08  8:56   ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2019-03-08  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth, Daryl Oliver, qemu-devel
  Cc: Gerd Hoffmann, Peter Maydell, Daniel P. Berrangé

On 05/03/19 09:05, Thomas Huth wrote:
> On 02/03/2019 13.46, Daryl Oliver wrote:
>> Hello there I don't know if this is till valid but I thought I should
>> mention my use cases for the bluetooth option in qemu.
>>
>> Use case would be using Bluetooth controllers for gaming on kvm qemu since
>> I don't know if kvm would be able to use my hosts Bluetooth chip or emulate
>> one. since I manily use the windows port of qemu.
>> But my other use case would be using Bluetooth speakers or headphones.
>
>  Hi!
>
> Thanks for your report! Do you mean you are already using bluetooth for
> your KVM guest, or you just would like to use it (since you wrote "would
> be" and not "is")?
> In the first case, could you please elaborate on your set up? Which
> hardware are you exactly passing through to the guest, which parameters
> are you using for starting QEMU, which version of QEMU are you using, is
> it working without problems, etc. ?

I suspect he wants to pass something like an XBox controller.  It would
actually be a very good usecase for Bluetooth passthrough.

If he is using Linux guests, he could use virtio-input-host-pci.

For Windows, we could also pass it through as an HID device, using
something like virtio-input-host-pci but for USB.  It wouldn't be hard
to implement, but you'd have to write a converter from Linux evdev
descriptors to USB HID descriptors.

Paolo

@ 2019-03-08  9:19     ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2019-03-08  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini
  Cc: Thomas Huth, Daryl Oliver, qemu-devel, Peter Maydell,
	Daniel P. Berrangé

  Hi,

> For Windows, we could also pass it through as an HID device, using
> something like virtio-input-host-pci but for USB.  It wouldn't be hard
> to implement, but you'd have to write a converter from Linux evdev
> descriptors to USB HID descriptors.

I think we actually have virtio-input windows drivers, didn't Ladi work
on that?

Another possible option would be to usb pass through a bluetooth dongle.

cheers,
  Gerd

* Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu bluetooth support
@ 2019-03-08 10:14       ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2019-03-08 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Hoffmann
  Cc: Thomas Huth, Daryl Oliver, qemu-devel, Peter Maydell,
	Daniel P. Berrangé

On 08/03/19 10:19, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>   Hi,
>
>> For Windows, we could also pass it through as an HID device, using
>> something like virtio-input-host-pci but for USB.  It wouldn't be hard
>> to implement, but you'd have to write a converter from Linux evdev
>> descriptors to USB HID descriptors.
>
> I think we actually have virtio-input windows drivers, didn't Ladi work
> on that?

Ah indeed.  So virtio-input-host-pci might work even for Windows.

Paolo

@ 2019-03-11 13:02     ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2019-03-11 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini, Daryl Oliver, qemu-devel; +Cc: Peter Maydell, Gerd Hoffmann

On 08/03/2019 09.56, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 05/03/19 09:05, Thomas Huth wrote:
>> On 02/03/2019 13.46, Daryl Oliver wrote:
>>> Hello there I don't know if this is till valid but I thought I should
>>> mention my use cases for the bluetooth option in qemu.
>>>
>>> Use case would be using Bluetooth controllers for gaming on kvm qemu since
>>> I don't know if kvm would be able to use my hosts Bluetooth chip or emulate
>>> one. since I manily use the windows port of qemu.
>>> But my other use case would be using Bluetooth speakers or headphones.
>>
>>  Hi!
>>
>> Thanks for your report! Do you mean you are already using bluetooth for
>> your KVM guest, or you just would like to use it (since you wrote "would
>> be" and not "is")?
>> In the first case, could you please elaborate on your set up? Which
>> hardware are you exactly passing through to the guest, which parameters
>> are you using for starting QEMU, which version of QEMU are you using, is
>> it working without problems, etc. ?
>
> I suspect he wants to pass something like an XBox controller.  It would
> actually be a very good usecase for Bluetooth passthrough.

For the records: I recently found an old bluetooth headset in my rack,
and was now curious whether it could be used for passthrough in QEMU. It
was quite easy to pair it on the host, but when I then tried to pass it
through to the guest, I was not able to make it work. I tried for a
couple of hours, but apart from a fake HCI, the guest did not see
anything bluetooth related. So I really doubt that the current bluetooth
code in QEMU is still usable at all...

 Thomas