From: Felix Kuehling <felix.kuehling@amd.com>
To: Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@nvidia.com>,
	Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@intel.com>
Cc: Joao Martins <joao.m.martins@oracle.com>,
	Gerald Schaefer <gerald.schaefer@linux.ibm.com>,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>,
	Heiko Carstens <hca@linux.ibm.com>,
	Vasily Gorbik <gor@linux.ibm.com>,
	Christian Borntraeger <borntraeger@de.ibm.com>,
	Linux NVDIMM <nvdimm@lists.linux.dev>,
	linux-s390 <linux-s390@vger.kernel.org>,
	Matthew Wilcox <willy@infradead.org>,
	Alex Sierra <alex.sierra@amd.com>, Linux MM <linux-mm@kvack.org>,
	Ralph Campbell <rcampbell@nvidia.com>,
	Alistair Popple <apopple@nvidia.com>,
	Vishal Verma <vishal.l.verma@intel.com>,
	Dave Jiang <dave.jiang@intel.com>,
	"Phillips, Daniel" <Daniel.Phillips@amd.com>
Subject: Re: can we finally kill off CONFIG_FS_DAX_LIMITED
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 11:38:36 -0400	[thread overview]

Am 2021-10-19 um 10:20 a.m. schrieb Jason Gunthorpe:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 09:26:24PM -0700, Dan Williams wrote:

>>> This code is looks broken as written.
>>>
>>> vma_address() relies on certain properties that I maybe DAX (maybe
>>> even only FSDAX?) sets on its ZONE_DEVICE pages, and
>>> dev_pagemap_mapping_shift() does not handle the -EFAULT return. It
>>> will crash if a memory failure hits any other kind of ZONE_DEVICE
>>> area.
>> That case is gated with a TODO in memory_failure_dev_pagemap(). I
>> never got any response to queries about what to do about memory
>> failure vs HMM.
> Unfortunately neither Logan nor Felix noticed that TODO conditional
> when adding new types..

You mean this?

        if (pgmap->type == MEMORY_DEVICE_PRIVATE) {
                /*
                 * TODO: Handle HMM pages which may need coordination
                 * with device-side memory.
                 */
                goto unlock;
        }

Yeah, I never looked at that. Alex, we'll need to add || pgmap->type ==
MEMORY_DEVICE_COHERENT here. Or should we change this into a test that
looks for the pgmap->types that are actually handled by
memory_failure_dev_pagemap? E.g.

        if (pgmap->type != MEMORY_DEVICE_FS_DAX)
                goto unlock;

I think in case of a real HW error, our driver should be calling
memory_failure. But then a callback from here back into the driver
wouldn't make sense.

For MADV_HWPOISON we may need a callback to the driver, if we want the
driver to treat it like an actual HW error and retire the page.

> But maybe it is dead code anyhow as it already has this:
>
> 	cookie = dax_lock_page(page);
> 	if (!cookie)
> 		goto out;
>
> Right before? Doesn't that already always fail for anything that isn't
> a DAX?

I guess the check for the pgmap->type should come before this.

Regards,
  Felix