From: Xiang Wang <xiangw@google.com>
To: "Aneesh Kumar K.V" <aneesh.kumar@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
Cc: Andreas Dilger <adilger@sun.com>,
	Curt Wohlgemuth <curtw@google.com>, Theodore Tso <tytso@mit.edu>,
	ext4 development <linux-ext4@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: RFC PATCH: ext4 no journal corruption with locale-gen
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 16:27:26 -0700	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Aneesh Kumar
K.V<aneesh.kumar@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:13:27PM +0200, Andreas Dilger wrote:
>> On Jun 22, 2009  09:42 -0700, Curt Wohlgemuth wrote:
>> > I tested the locale-gen example with all combinations of
>> >
>> >    data=writeback
>> >    data=ordered
>> >    data=journal
>> >    <no journal at all>
>>
>> On an unrelated note - would it be useful to mount an ext4 filesystem
>> with a journal using "data=none" (or similar) to run without a journal?
>>

> I think this is better. I would suggest data=nojournal. That way we can
> check the mount options to figure out whether we are running with
> journal or not. Also i guess this enables us to run without using a
> journal even if  mke2fs created a journal for us

We think adding this "data=nojournal" mount option is a very good idea.
To be more specific, after adding this option, the semantics will be:

If mke2fs does not create a journal, then we should use the
"data=nojournal" mount option only.

If mke2fs creates a journal for us, we are allowed to use one of the
following 4 mount options:
data=nojournal
data=writeback
data=ordered
data=journal

We are now working on this patch and will submit it in a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile if Ted could take the most recent patch from Curt to fix the data
corruption problem, that would be great!

Thanks,
Xiang