* Segfault on git for Windows
@ 2017-04-05  7:38 Rémi Galan Alfonso
From: Rémi Galan Alfonso @ 2017-04-05  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am unsure whether it's Windows only or not, so I'm sending here and
CCing Dscho.

At $DAYWORK, the code is versionned under SVN. Since I haven't used
SVN before and try to have a clean and bisectable history, I installed
git with the intent to manage my code locally before pushing to SVN
when I'm satisfied (I haven't tries git-svn because I have never used
it and would like to avoid screwing up the SVN repo by some mistake).

So first to setup the local repo, I wanted to add all of the code
files. So I first ran at the root of the repo:
  $ git add ./**.cpp
Which is quite a big amount of files (partly because of external
dependencies which would have been smart to exclude, but it's
done).
  $ find -type f -name "**.cpp" | wc -l
  8676
This command worked (return status is 0 and no error message).

However following `git add **.hpp` and `git status` segfault with no
additional message:
  $ git status
  Segmentation fault
I didn't try to test other commands (`git diff --cached` works
though).

$ git --version
git version 2.12.2.windows.1

This seems to be reproducible.

Sadly I won't be able to share the repo where this happens.

FWIW:
  $ git fsck
  notice: HEAD points to an unborn branch (master)
  Checking object directories: 100% (256/256), done.
  notice: No default references

Thanks,
Rémi Galan Alfonso

* Re: Segfault on git for Windows
@ 2017-04-05  8:58 ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2017-04-05  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Rémi,

On Wed, 5 Apr 2017, Rémi Galan Alfonso wrote:

> At $DAYWORK, the code is versionned under SVN. Since I haven't used SVN
> before and try to have a clean and bisectable history, I installed git
> with the intent to manage my code locally before pushing to SVN when I'm
> satisfied (I haven't tries git-svn because I have never used it and
> would like to avoid screwing up the SVN repo by some mistake).
>
> So first to setup the local repo, I wanted to add all of the code files.
> So I first ran at the root of the repo:
>   $ git add ./**.cpp
> Which is quite a big amount of files (partly because of external
> dependencies which would have been smart to exclude, but it's done).
>   $ find -type f -name "**.cpp" | wc -l
>   8676
> This command worked (return status is 0 and no error message).
>
> However following `git add **.hpp` and `git status` segfault with no
> additional message:
>   $ git status
>   Segmentation fault

I think this is the problem identified in
https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/1111.

To verify, you could try the snapshot (with the proposed fix) hosted here:
http://wingit.blob.core.windows.net/files/index.html

Ciao,
Johannes

* RE: Segfault on git for Windows
@ 2017-04-05  9:17   ` Rémi Galan Alfonso
From: Rémi Galan Alfonso @ 2017-04-05  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi Rémi,
>
> On Wed, 5 Apr 2017, Rémi Galan Alfonso wrote:
>
> > At $DAYWORK, the code is versionned under SVN. Since I haven't used SVN
> > before and try to have a clean and bisectable history, I installed git
> > with the intent to manage my code locally before pushing to SVN when I'm
> > satisfied (I haven't tries git-svn because I have never used it and
> > would like to avoid screwing up the SVN repo by some mistake).
> >
> > So first to setup the local repo, I wanted to add all of the code files.
> > So I first ran at the root of the repo:
> >   $ git add ./**.cpp
> > Which is quite a big amount of files (partly because of external
> > dependencies which would have been smart to exclude, but it's done).
> >   $ find -type f -name "**.cpp" | wc -l
> >   8676
> > This command worked (return status is 0 and no error message).
> >
> > However following `git add **.hpp` and `git status` segfault with no
> > additional message:
> >   $ git status
> >   Segmentation fault
>
> I think this is the problem identified in
> https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/1111.
>
> To verify, you could try the snapshot (with the proposed fix) hosted here:
> http://wingit.blob.core.windows.net/files/index.html

Thanks, it fixed it. Sorry for the noise.
Rémi