Hi Am 30.06.22 um 10:07 schrieb Javier Martinez Canillas: > Hello, > > On 6/28/22 14:21, Thomas Zimmermann wrote: >> Hi >> >> Am 27.06.22 um 23:32 schrieb Sam Ravnborg: >>> Hi Kevin/Thomas, >>> >>>> >>>> I had a brief look over the patches. Even though the code looks fairly rough >>>> in places, I think we should get this driver merged ASAP. >>> >>> Agreed, we have a had a few cases where we dragged out committing much >>> too long time. >>> >>> Timing wise, it would be good if we can already hit drm-misc-next right >>> _after_ the pull -so we have a full cycle to fix anything before it hits >>> mainline. >>> >>>> For the old via driver, I think we need a better apprach. IMHO it would be >>>> preferable to put the new driver into via/ but keep the old driver there as >>>> well. A build option would control which is being used. >>> >>> I assume the user base for via drivers are very small and they have the >>> fbdev driver already. >>> So I support replacing the current via drm driver as Kevin tries to do. >> >> I don't know if there are still users of the old userspace, but if so I >> would consider this removal a regression. I think the old code supports >> 3d and video decoding. Depending on the feature set, 3d support might >> not be useful any longer, but video decoding probably is. (I might be >> wrong about all this.) IMHO we should not simply remove this at least >> until we can verify that it's no longer useful to anyone. >> > > I strongly agree with Thomas on this. > >> However, legacy support is trivial. Kevin, please see the attached files >> for two cleanup patches. You're welcome to add them to the start of your >> patchset to get the legacy code out of the way. >> > > I'm not sure about this approach, I think that having completely separated > drivers would be better to maintain in the long run since it's likely that > the legacy VIA driver will only get bug fixes (if any) and could be removed > once the new modsetting driver has feature parity, the legacy can be dropped. > > Maybe an alternative could be to add a drivers/gpu/drm/legacy directory and > move all the legacy DRM drivers there ? And the Kconfig symbol could be i.e: > CONFIG_DRM_LEGACY_VIA and same for the others legacy DRM drivers. > > And the directory could only be sourced from Kconfig when CONFIG_DRM_LEGACY > is enabled and make it default to n. If in a few of releases nobody complains > then the whole directory could be removed. > That seems a lot of work for simply removing something. And I'm sure that people will only complain after legacy/via got removed. If we want to separate code for the old and new VIA driver, let's put the new code into unichrome/ and be done with it. Best regards Thomas -- Thomas Zimmermann Graphics Driver Developer SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany (HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg) Geschäftsführer: Ivo Totev