On 05.03.2021 23:31, J. Bruce Fields wrote: > Yeah, it's completely failing to provide close-to-open cache consistency > there in most cases. Arghh. > > I have some idea how to fix it, but for now it should just be reverted. > I'll post that pending some testing. > > I've also added a pynfs test for this case (4.1 test DELEG9). We should > probably have some more. > > So, thanks for the report. > > I'd still be a little cautious about your use--NFS can't give you a lot > of guarantees when you've got a file open for read and write > simultaneously. The writing client can delay those writes at least > until the writing application closes, and the reading isn't necessarily > going to revalidate its cache until it the reading application closes > and reopens. And weirder behavior is possible: for exapmle when the > writer does write back, I don't think there's any guarantee it will > write in order, so you could end up temporarily with NULLs in the > middle. As long as it doesn't get stuck for extended amounts of time, it being a bit janked is fine. A close and re-open bringing it back up to date that's all I can ask for. Not sure how "tail -f" operates internally. It does seem to have special handling for remote files/network filesystems though, so it might be doing the right thing already. But as long as calling "cat" on the file repeatedly works, that's fine. > But that particular regression was my fault, thanks again for bisecting > and reporting. > I've been running a 5.10 Kernel with the commit reverted for a the whole week now, and haven't run into any issues so far.