All of lore.kernel.org
From: Tetsuo Handa <penguin-kernel@i-love.sakura.ne.jp>
To: Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@google.com>
Cc: Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@redhat.com>, Will Deacon <will.deacon@arm.com>,
	syzbot <syzbot+7b2866454055e43c21e5@syzkaller.appspotmail.com>,
	linux-fsdevel <linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	syzkaller-bugs <syzkaller-bugs@googlegroups.com>,
	Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>,
	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
Subject: Re: INFO: task hung in __sb_start_write
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 04:40:14 +0900	[thread overview]

On 2018/06/15 18:19, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 12:33 PM, Tetsuo Handa
> <penguin-kernel@i-love.sakura.ne.jp> wrote:

>>> Do you mean that we froze fs? We tried to never-ever issue
>>> ioctl(FIFREEZE) during fuzzing. Are there other ways to do this?
>>>

>> Dmitry, can you try this patch? If you can get
>
> I've tried replying 5 logs with this patch, but I don't see that we
> return to user-space with locks held, nor deadlock reports.

Did you succeed to reproduce khungtaskd messages with this patch?
If yes, was one of sb_writers#X/sb_pagefaults/sb_internal printed there?
If no, we would want a git tree for testing under syzbot.

> What I've noticed is that all these logs contain lots of error
> messages around block subsystem. Perhaps if we can identify the common
> denominator across error messages in different logs, we can find the
> one responsible for hangs.

While there are lots of error messages around block subsystem, how can
down_read() fail to continue unless up_write() somehow failed to wake up
waiters sleeping at down_read(), assuming that khungtaskd says that none
of sb_writers#X/sb_pagefaults/sb_internal was held?

Hmm, there might be other locations calling percpu_rwsem_release() ?