From: Marco Varlese <mvarlese@suse.de>
To: Luca Boccassi <bluca@debian.org>, dev@dpdk.org
Cc: stable@dpdk.org, thomas@monjalon.net
Subject: Re: Regression tests for stable releases from companies involved in DPDK
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 10:17:20 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Luca,

On Thu, 2018-05-31 at 11:26 +0100, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> At this morning's release meeting (minutes coming soon from John), we
> briefly discussed the state of the regression testing for stable
> releases and agreed we need to formalise the process.
>
> At the moment we have a firm commitment from Intel and Mellanox to test
> all stable branches (and if I heard correctly from NXP as well? Please
> confirm!). AT&T committed to run regressions on the 16.11 branch.
>
> Here's what we need in order to improve the quality of the stable
> releases process:
>
> 1) More commitments to help from other companies involved in the DPDK
> community. At the cost of re-stating the obvious, improving the quality
> of stable releases is for everyone's benefit, as a lot of customers and
> projects rely on the stable or LTS releases for their production
> environments.

Do you have a list of steps (test-cases?) which are carried out for stable
regression? I think it is necessary in order to understand the effort involved
before committing to it.

> 2) A formalised deadline - the current proposal is 10 days from the
> "xx.yy patches review and test" email, which was just sent for 16.11.
> For the involved companies, please let us know if 10 days is enough. In
> terms of scheduling, this period will always start within a week from
> the mainline final release. Again, the signal is the "xx.yy patches
> review and test" appearing in the inbox, which will detail the
> deadline.

Again, I believe it depends on what needs to be tested (and how) in order to
comment on "how much time is required".

> Comments?

Marco V

SUSE LINUX GmbH | GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton
HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg) Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409, Nürnberg