* BUG report: git-gui does not show commit message templates
@ 2022-06-03 13:58 Ian Molton
From: Ian Molton @ 2022-06-03 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git; +Cc: Ian Molton

Hi,

Please CC: me in replies, I'm not a list member.

I've just found that git-gui does not show commit templates.

I've checked and found this commit:
627c87f84c157885d587125cf0c73591a0e3ee7a

which suggests to me that the issue should have been fixed, but it
clearly has not.

I've removed git-gui from the system (Ubuntu package), and compiled the
latest mainline git-gui (as of today), and the problem remains.

(In fact, worse, its now auto-filling in my signed-off-by: line rather
than leaving the commit message blank (or preferably, showing the template).

-Ian

* AW: BUG report: git-gui does not show commit message templates
@ 2022-06-03 14:36 ` stefan.naewe
From: stefan.naewe @ 2022-06-03 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git-ian, git

It seems that git gui wants to load the template file from (or relative to) the .git directory.

> (In fact, worse, its now auto-filling in my signed-off-by: line rather than leaving the
> commit message blank (or preferably, showing the template).

Stefan

* Re: AW: BUG report: git-gui does not show commit message templates
@ 2022-06-03 18:02   ` Ian Molton
From: Ian Molton @ 2022-06-03 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stefan.naewe, git-ian, git

On 03/06/2022 15:36, stefan.naewe@atlas-elektronik.com wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> Please CC: me in replies, I'm not a list member.
>>
>> I've just found that git-gui does not show commit templates.
>>
>> I've checked and found this commit:
>> 627c87f84c157885d587125cf0c73591a0e3ee7a
>>
>> which suggests to me that the issue should have been fixed, but it clearly has not.
>>
>> I've removed git-gui from the system (Ubuntu package), and compiled the latest
>> mainline git-gui (as of today), and the problem remains.
>
> It seems that git gui wants to load the template file from (or relative to) the .git directory.

Hi,

I tried copying the file into .git/ and ~/ but it still did not pick it up.

-Ian