From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77+btrfs@gmail.com>
To: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Possible to dedpulicate read-only snapshots for space-efficient backups
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 22:48:49 +0200	[thread overview]

james northrup <northrup.james@gmail.com> schrieb:

> tried a git based backup? sounds spot-on as a compromise prior to
> applying btrfs tweaks.  snapshotting the git binaries would have the
> dedupe characteristics.

Git is efficient with space, yes. But if you have a lot of binary files, and
a lot of them are big, git becomes really slow really fast. Checking out and
in can be very slow and resource intensive then. And I don't think it would
track ownership and permissions correctly.

Git is great, it's an everyday tool for me, but it is just not made for
binary files.

Regards,
Kai