From: Jonathan Haws <Jonathan.Haws@sdl.usu.edu>
To: "intel-gfx@lists.freedesktop.org" <intel-gfx@lists.freedesktop.org>
Subject: Dual/Triple Monitor with Intel HD 5000
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 00:52:13 +0000	[thread overview]

I am running the latest drivers on an HP Folio 1040 G1.  I am trying to setup multiple monitors via the 2013 docking station (dual display port outputs, single VGA).

I am running Xubuntu 14.04, fresh installation, kernel 3.13.0-43-generic from Ubuntu.

Things seem to be working okay, however I am having a problem with the two display ports.  The two monitors plugged into the display ports are showing up as DP2 in xrandr, instead of separate monitors.  The VGA shows up as a separate monitor just fine and I can configure it separately (though it only shows up when I reboot).

So, I have a couple of questions:

1. How can I force a refresh of the xrandr displays?  What I mean is, if I dock my laptop and don't see the VGA monitor show up, how can I force it to be detected without rebooting?

2. Is there any way that I can split the two display port monitors into separate monitors?  The only way I can get them to work right is to have them combined into a single display (i.e. a resolution of 3840x1200 instead of two 1920x1200 displays).  This is hard to work with since I can't maximize a window to just that monitor, rather it maximizes to the whole display.

Thoughts?  Any ideas on how I can get this configured?

I'm happy to send along any diagnostic information needed.  Just let me know what to send.

Thanks!
Jon