* Trying to figure out what went wrong with my HDMI.
@ 2008-12-15 15:42 Mark Jenks
From: Mark Jenks @ 2008-12-15 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

I have a M3N78 Pro motherboard, and am running alsa 1.0.18a on it.

I had HDMI audio working on it, but for some reason it has stopped.  I
really didn't change too much about the computer, other then take out a
hvr-1800, and put in a hvr-1600.   I did try to go up to .27 kernel, but had
other problems and went back to .26.   Recompiled alsa 1.0.18a and even
tried multiple versions of the nvidia drivers.  (173, 177)..     And now I
have just tried the snapshot with the same results.

I believe it was recognised as a ALC883 before, and not is is a ALC1200, but
I'm not completely sure about it.

Help!  :)

-Mark

aplay -l shows:

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

So, everything looks good there.

If I try and do an aplay, I get.

#aplay -D hw:0,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little
Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
aplay: set_params:966: Channels count non available

I noticed that I am missing hdmi in my aplay -L.   When it worked, it was
there.

# aplay -L
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
null
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
default

* Re: Trying to figure out what went wrong with my HDMI.
@ 2008-12-16 13:24 ` Clemens Ladisch
       [not found]   ` <e5df86c90812160653v1e3ed11fl1c485a4634e106c1@mail.gmail.com>
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2008-12-16 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Jenks; +Cc: alsa-devel

Mark Jenks wrote:
> #aplay -D hw:0,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
> Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
> aplay: set_params:966: Channels count non available

Use "plughw:0,3" instead of "hw:0,3".

HTH
Clemens

@ 2008-12-17  8:03     ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2008-12-17  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Jenks; +Cc: alsa-devel

Mark Jenks wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 7:24 AM, Clemens Ladisch <clemens@ladisch.de> wrote:
> > Use "plughw:0,3" instead of "hw:0,3".
>
> What is the difference?

Plughw automatically converts to a sample format that the device
supports.

> And why did hw:0,3 work before?

Probably your old hardware did support mono playback.

> If I want to use it in Myth, would it be ALSA:plughw:0,3 then?

Yes.  (It is possible that Myth can do resampling and channel rerouting
by itself; in this case, hw would also work.)

HTH
Clemens