On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 10:34:36 +0200 Riku Voipio wrote: > On 14 March 2017 at 17:47, Joe Konno > wrote: > > I took this approach for the following problem as well (which I did > > not mention in my initial submission, silly me): > > > > - Build and package the same kernel commit, but with different > > kernel configurations > > Semi-related - you probably want to use bindeb-pkg (or my proposed > fastdeb-pkg) as with deb-pkg target you will generate many huge > source tarballs with identical content. > > > If I were building and packaging different kernel commits on the > > same tree, I could live without my patch. The bulleted edge case, > > and my original commit message's case, do something interesting for > > target installations. With some KDEB_PKGVERSION finesse, I could > > make multiple versions of 'linux-configA-image' and > > 'linux-configB-image' available to the target. At least for my > > usage, this patch can be useful. > > > Granted, LOCALVERSION hacking could accomplish the same thing. Maybe > > it's the pedant in me, but "4.11.0-rc2$LOCALVERSION" seems ideal for > > describing a named package, be it 'linux-image', > > 'linux-configA-image', or '$KDEB_SOURCENAME-image'. > > It is idiomatic for Debian to have the configuration also in the > version string: > > $ apt-cache search ^linux-image > linux-image-4.9.0-2-686-pae-unsigned - Linux 4.9 for modern PCs > linux-image-4.9.0-2-686-unsigned - Linux 4.9 for older PCs > linux-image-4.9.0-2-amd64-unsigned - Linux 4.9 for 64-bit PCs > linux-image-4.9.0-2-rt-686-pae-unsigned - Linux 4.9 for modern PCs, > PREEMPT_RT > linux-image-4.9.0-2-rt-amd64-unsigned - Linux 4.9 for 64-bit PCs, > PREEMPT_RT > > It is a bit of bikeshedding matter, but your users might be expecting > the above command to tell what kernels are available and "dpkg -l > linux-image*" to tell what kernels are installed. Feedback appreciated as always. It's hard to argue for changing builddeb when it already follows Debian's long-standing kernel naming/versioning scheme. I haven't any further arguments for my patch at this point. It seems I'm up against long-standing Debian packaging norms, so I would need to start a discussion within that community. So, I'll orphan my patch (and current approach) here. I'll be sure to share any future enhancements/fixes here. Thanks again, Riku, for the review and feedback. > > Also I wouldn't be surprised if various scripts (dkms?) expected the > kernel packages to > start with "linux-image-". > > Riku > -- > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe > linux-kbuild" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org > More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html