On 04/17/2018 05:25 PM, speck for Jiri Kosina wrote: > On Tue, 17 Apr 2018, speck for Thomas Gleixner wrote: > >> The prctl is an optimization which can be done afterwards and we first >> need to agree whether we want it at all. I'm not too fond of yet another >> conditional branch in the entry/exit code. The code patching there is >> already bad enough. If we keep up adding this crap at that rate then we >> have sooner than later more NOOPs and conditionals than actual code. > > Plus the prctl() aproach opens a potential hole for attacks that can first > trick some vulnerable binary to call prctl() (ROP, return into libc ...) > on itself. The proposal would be that it only allows you to go one-way. You can say "I am vulnerable", turn off MD, but you can't say "I am not vulnerable". Jon. -- Computer Architect | Sent from my Fedora powered laptop