* relay: License cleanup
@ 2022-05-22 14:54 Thomas Gleixner
From: Thomas Gleixner @ 2022-05-22 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Zanussi, Karim Yaghmour; +Cc: linux-spdx

Tom, Karim!

As you might know we are working on cleaning up the licensing mess in the
kernel and convert it to SPDX license identifiers as the only source of
license information.

Archaeology found unspecific GPL license references, which have been
authored by you.

1) this file is released under the gpl

   kernel/relay.c

Can you please either send cleanup patches for the affected files or
indicate which GPLv2 variant you had in mind and I run it through my
cleanup machinery.

Thanks,

	Thomas

* Re: relay: License cleanup
@ 2022-05-22 18:14 ` Karim Yaghmour
From: Karim Yaghmour @ 2022-05-22 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Gleixner, Tom Zanussi; +Cc: linux-spdx

Hi Thomas,

On 5/22/22 10:54, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> Tom, Karim!
>
> As you might know we are working on cleaning up the licensing mess in the
> kernel and convert it to SPDX license identifiers as the only source of
> license information.
>
> Archaeology found unspecific GPL license references, which have been
> authored by you.
>
> 1) this file is released under the gpl
>
>     kernel/relay.c
>
> Can you please either send cleanup patches for the affected files or
> indicate which GPLv2 variant you had in mind and I run it through my
> cleanup machinery.

Thanks for the ping.

I assume you mean the GPLv2 variants from here:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/LICENSES/preferred/GPL-2.0?h=v5.18-rc7

In that case, I'd say that the intent was to follow what Linus had been
using: i.e. GPL-2.0 or GPL-2.0-only.

That said, since it was Tom that got this code included and did most of
the work on it, I think he'd have to confirm what his view was as well.

Cheers,

--
Karim Yaghmour
CEO - Opersys inc. / www.opersys.com

* Re: relay: License cleanup
@ 2022-05-24 20:28   ` Tom Zanussi
From: Tom Zanussi @ 2022-05-24 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karim Yaghmour, Thomas Gleixner; +Cc: linux-spdx

Hi Thomas and Karim,

On Sun, 2022-05-22 at 14:14 -0400, Karim Yaghmour wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On 5/22/22 10:54, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > Tom, Karim!
> >
> > As you might know we are working on cleaning up the licensing mess
> > in the
> > kernel and convert it to SPDX license identifiers as the only
> > source of
> > license information.
> >
> > Archaeology found unspecific GPL license references, which have
> > been
> > authored by you.
> >
> > 1) this file is released under the gpl
> >
> >     kernel/relay.c
> >
> > Can you please either send cleanup patches for the affected files
> > or
> > indicate which GPLv2 variant you had in mind and I run it through
> > my
> > cleanup machinery.
>
> Thanks for the ping.
>
> I assume you mean the GPLv2 variants from here:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/LICENSES/preferred/GPL-2.0?h=v5.18-rc7

> In that case, I'd say that the intent was to follow what Linus had
> been
> using: i.e. GPL-2.0 or GPL-2.0-only.
>
> That said, since it was Tom that got this code included and did most
> of
> the work on it, I think he'd have to confirm what his view was as
> well.

Yes, GPL-2.0-only was the intent, so please use that and run it through
your cleanup machinery, thanks.

Or I can send a cleanup patch if that's easier for you, just let me
know.

Thanks,

Tom