From: Jens Axboe <axboe@kernel.dk>
To: Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: stable@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: io_uring stable addition
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2019 08:19:18 -0700	[thread overview]

On 12/7/19 5:01 AM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2019 at 08:53:43AM -0700, Jens Axboe wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have an issue with drains not working due to missing copy of some
>> state, it's affecting 5.2/5.3/5.4. I'm attaching the patch for 5.4,
>> however the patch should apply to 5.2 and 5.3 as well by just removing
>> the last hunk. The last hunk is touching the linked code, which was
>> introduced with 5.4.
>
> Does this match up with a patch in Linus's tree anywhere?  Why is this a
> stable-only thing?

Because it was fixed as part of a cleanup series in mainline, before
anyone realized we had this issue. That removed the separate states
of ->index vs ->submit.sqe. That series is not something I was
comfortable putting into stable, hence the much simpler addition.
Here's the patch in the series that fixes the same issue:

commit cf6fd4bd559ee61a4454b161863c8de6f30f8dca
Author: Pavel Begunkov <asml.silence@gmail.com>
Date:   Mon Nov 25 23:14:39 2019 +0300

    io_uring: inline struct sqe_submit

--