All of lore.kernel.org
From: Sinan Kaya <okaya@codeaurora.org>
To: Lukas Wunner <lukas@wunner.de>, Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@google.com>
Cc: Mika Westerberg <mika.westerberg@linux.intel.com>,
	Yehezkel Bernat <yehezkel.bernat@intel.com>,
	Michael Jamet <michael.jamet@intel.com>,
	linux-pci@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Regression (sort of): PCI/portdrv: Turn off PCIe services during shutdown
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 09:26:48 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi Lukas,

On 1/12/2018 5:49 AM, Lukas Wunner wrote:
> Hi Sinan,
>
> I updated to 4.15 this week and noticed a regression (if one may call it
> that, it's more like a very noticeable annoyance) affecting machines
> with Thunderbolt controllers wherein a reboot or shutdown is delayed by
> 8 seconds, caused by

Sorry for that.

I wonder if we can separate remove from shutdown and just disable the IRQs
in shutdown case rather than turning off the slot power etc.

Let me see if I can come up with a quick patch.

> On the one hand, your commit message sounds as though the change merely
> addresses a *potential* issue, so one could argue that if it causes
> *real* issues such as delayed reboots, it's probably not a good idea.
> On the other hand I do see your point since a user might surprise-remove
> a device from a hotplug slot during shutdown, and we clearly wouldn't want
> to act on that.

We are seeing the problem on our platform (QDF2400). It is just sporadic.
That's why, the commit message was loosely worded.

Sinan

--
Sinan Kaya
Qualcomm Datacenter Technologies, Inc. as an affiliate of Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.