From: "André Przywara" <andre.przywara@arm.com>
To: u-boot@lists.denx.de
Subject: [U-Boot] What if ATF can be part of U-Boot source, like SPL?
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2019 00:14:35 +0100	[thread overview]

On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 14:26:41 +0200
Marek Vasut <marek.vasut@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> On 9/5/19 2:54 AM, André Przywara wrote:

> >> So why don't we put all the platform init code into U-Boot SPL, which
> >> already has all the loading code and only load this ATF BL31 with SPL?
> >
> > But this is what we actually do on those platforms: SPL is loaded by the
> > BootROM, PLLs and bus clocks are set up in SPL, then DRAM and MMC are
> > initialised, then we load U-Boot proper and ATF BL31.
> > BL31 does SMP init and errata workaround, and stays resident in EL3 to
> > provide PSCI services.
>
> Then why is there so much init code in ATF plat/ and drivers/ ? I think
> that should rather be in the U-Boot SPL instead of being duplicated in ATF.

Anything in particular you are looking at?
ATF handles more platforms that those just using the BL31 only approach.
Also there are platforms that don't even support U-Boot.
So those have more code in their plat/ directory, and bring their own
drivers.

> > This BL31-only model is considered a perfectly fine way of using ATF.

> >> I thought ATF was designed to be BSD-licensed to allow vendors to take
> >> all the open source contributions, benefit from it, but also allow the
> >> vendors to never release their changes if they so desire.
> >
> > BSD was simply chosen because basically every vendor said they would not
> > (be able to) use GPL licensed code for their firmware.
> > So it was BSD license or no (Open Source) firmware at all.
> > You might find that sad (I do), but that's what it is.
>
> There are quite a few GPL licensed bootloaders and they are doing quite
> fine I think, so it's not that clear cut.

For which platforms? Servers? High end network appliances?

> >> It seems like some platforms even went down this path already and only
> >> released blobs, hence, no security fixes etc.
> >
> > If you don't control the platform (servers), then you still have some
> > power as a customer to ask for releasing the firmware source. AFAIK this
> > is well understood by the vendors, as it is a good selling point against
> > x86.
>
> Every single time I asked a vendor for changes to BSD-licensed sources,
> I either got silent treatment or was told off. Hence, I am not a fan of
> BSD license at all.

Yes, I can see that from your response and the answers down here ;-)
But as mentioned before: GPL was not an option for those components.

Cheers,
Andre.