* Per subvolume "RAID" level?!
@ 2018-03-08 10:36 waxhead
From: waxhead @ 2018-03-08 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Just out of curiosity, are there any work going on for enabling
different "RAID" levels per subvolume?!

And out of even more curiosity how is this planned to be handled with
btrfs balance?! When per subvolume "RAID" levels are good to go, how
would you then run the balance filters to convert / leave alone certain
parts of the filesystem?!

* Re: Per subvolume "RAID" level?!
@ 2018-03-08 13:13 ` Austin S. Hemmelgarn
From: Austin S. Hemmelgarn @ 2018-03-08 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: waxhead, linux-btrfs

On 2018-03-08 05:36, waxhead wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, are there any work going on for enabling
> different "RAID" levels per subvolume?!
Not that I know of, but it would be great to have (I could get rid of
some of the various small isolated volumes I have solely to have a
different storage profile for part of the system (it makes essentially
zero sense to use raid1 for /var/cache)), assuming that cross-profile
reflinks are properly disallowed (or have an option to be disallowed).

> And out of even more curiosity how is this planned to be handled with
> btrfs balance?! When per subvolume "RAID" levels are good to go, how
> would you then run the balance filters to convert / leave alone certain
> parts of the filesystem?!
I would assume a new balance filter would be added to select only chunks
used by a given subvolume.