On 3/1/19 4:47 PM, speck for Thomas Gleixner wrote: > Subject: [patch V6 12/14] x86/speculation/mds: Add mitigation mode VMWERV > From: Thomas Gleixner > > In virtualized environments it can happen that the host has the microcode > update which utilizes the VERW instruction to clear CPU buffers, but the > hypervisor is not yet updated to expose the X86_FEATURE_MD_CLEAR CPUID bit > to guests. > > Introduce an internal mitigation mode VWWERV which enables the invocation > of the CPU buffer clearing even if X86_FEATURE_MD_CLEAR is not set. If the > system has no updated microcode this results in a pointless execution of > the VERW instruction wasting a few CPU cycles. If the microcode is updated, > but not exposed to a guest then the CPU buffers will be cleared. > > That said: Virtual Machines Will Eventually Receive Vaccine The effect of this patch, currently, is that a (bare metal) machine without updated ucode will print the following: [ 1.576602] MDS: Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no microcode The intention of the patch is to say "hey, you might be on a VM, so we'll try anyway in case we didn't get told you had MD_CLEAR". But the effect on bare metal might be ambiguous. It's reasonable (for someone else) to assume we might be using a software sequence to try flushing. Perhaps the wording should convey something like: "MDS: Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers may not work, no microcode" Jon. -- Computer Architect | Sent with my Fedora powered laptop