On 03.09.20 12:13, Fabian Grünbichler wrote: > On August 21, 2020 3:03 pm, Max Reitz wrote: >> On 18.02.20 11:07, Fabian Grünbichler wrote: >> >> [Sorry :/] > > same, I've been meaning to ping/pick this back up but other stuff got in > the way. so thanks for the reminder to get this upstream ;) > >> >>> picking up on John's in-progress patch series from last summer, this is >>> a stab at rebasing and adding test cases for the low-hanging fruits: >>> >>> - bitmap mirror mode with always/on-success/never bitmap sync mode >>> - incremental mirror mode as sugar for bitmap + on-success >>> >>> Fabian Grünbichler (4): >>> mirror: add check for bitmap-mode without bitmap >>> mirror: switch to bdrv_dirty_bitmap_merge_internal >>> iotests: add test for bitmap mirror >>> mirror: move some checks to QMP >>> >>> John Snow (2): >>> drive-mirror: add support for sync=bitmap mode=never >>> drive-mirror: add support for conditional and always bitmap sync modes >> >> Looks reasonable to me. I would indeed merge patches 2 through 4 into a >> single one, and perhaps switch patches 5 and 6. >> >> Also, we still need an S-o-b from John on patch 2. >> >> I have one question: When the mirror job completes successfully (or is >> cancelled “successfully”), the bitmap is always fully cleared when the >> job completes, right? (Unless in “never” mode.) > > I have to take a closer look as well, it's been a while ;) No problem, I’m... *cough* not exactly in a hurry. > IIRC the idea > was that failed mirrors would allow re-using the bitmap for a next > attempt, unless the mode is always. we are not using that feature (yet) > though (see below). > >> Not that I think we should change the current implementation of “clear >> sync_bitmap; merge dirty_bitmap into sync_bitmap;”. Just a question for >> understanding. >> >> >> Soo... What’s the plan? > > I'll rebase, squash as suggested and resend next week! OK :) > I am not sure how > the S-O-B by John is supposed to enter the mix - should I just include > it in the squashed patch (which would be partly authored, but > not-yet-signed-off by him otherwise?)? I’m not too sure on the proceedings, actually. I think it should be fine if you put his S-o-b there, as long as your patch is somehow based on a patch that he sent earlier with his S-o-b underneath. But I’m not sure. > do you pick it up once he's replied with one? Yes, that’s what would be best. > FWIW, with been running with this for quite a while downstream with no > issues, but we are only using the following part: > > - create bitmap(s) > - (incrementally) replicate storage volume(s) out of band (using ZFS) > - incrementally drive mirror as part of a live migration of VM > - drop bitmap(s) > > so no fancy semi-permanent bitmap that gets re-used here. I've been > toying with implementing some sort of generic replication feature akin > to zfs send/recv though, but given that we only have built-in persistent > bitmaps with qcow2 and the chance of some other tool or the user messing > up other image formats is high, the safe usage scenarios are a bit > limited. OK. > we do use such long-running bitmaps for our new backup driver though, > and it works quite well there! Good! :) Max