From: "S. Petty" <spetty01@gmail.com>
To: alsa-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: dsnoop slave definition fails on startup
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 09:41:21 -0500	[thread overview]

In the past I've used SuSE 9.x for my installations with a Delta 1010LT
card, but the most recent install I opted for SuSE 10.1.  I'm starting
to regret it!   I've never needed to install alsa by hand, the distro
install has always taken care of it.

I have the 1010LT broken out into 8 separate devices.  I have this exact
configuration running on at least a dozen other machines, and have
gotten quite good at getting it going in a hurry.  This SuSE 10.1,
install, though gives me the following errors when I try to start the
device:

> ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:568:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to initialize slave
> ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:849:(snd_pcm_direct_initialize_slave) requested or auto-format is not available

My asound.conf looks like this:

> # Asound.conf START
> pcm.snoop10 {
>         type dsnoop
>         ipc_key 123
>         slave {
>                 pcm"hw:1"
>                 period_time 0
>                 period_size 1024
>                 buffer_size 4096
>                 rate 11025
>                 channels 10
>         }
>         slowptr true
>
> }
> pcm.channel1 {
>         type plug
>         slave.pcm snoop10
>         ttable.0.0 1
> }
> pcm.channel2 {
>         type plug
>         slave.pcm snoop10
>         ttable.0.1 1
> }     ....  down to channel 8

The alsa driver version is 1.0.11rc3, and the kernel version is
2.6.16.27-0.6

Can anyone suggest anything that I might check or change?  Is a
definition in my asound now incompatible with the current version of
drivers?

Thanks for any help.