From: Steven Ting <steventing@realtek.com>
To: "johannes.berg@intel.com" <johannes.berg@intel.com>
Cc: "linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org" <linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Is the extra_tx_headroom guarenteed ?
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 03:17:02 +0000	[thread overview]

Johannes and all mac80211 gurus,

We encountered a problem that we use the extra_tx_headroom to reserve the headroom
which we put the txdesc in.

Current workaround is that we check our needed headroom size by skb_headroom()
in the driver layer.

Is extra_tx_headroom in struct ieee80211_hw always guaranteed?
The header file describes:
* @extra_tx_headroom: headroom to reserve in each transmit skb
*      for use by the driver (e.g. for transmit headers.)

But when the skb goes through the ieee80211_amsdu_realloc_pad(), it does not
take care of the extra_tx_headroom, i.e. the original reserved headroom might be
eaten.

Does the ieee80211_amsdu_realloc_pad() lacks some check for extra_tx_headroom
or the extra_tx_headroom in mac80211 is not guaranteed?

Furthermore, for the packet that would not be aggregate in A-MSDU and ndev->needed_headroom
is not guaranteed, in this case whether mac80211 layer still guarantee the extra_tx_headroom ?

Or mac80211 only guarantees the headroom of the skb which is built by itself ?

Steven