* mono-native is trying to install files into a shared area...
@ 2018-05-01  6:20 Craig McQueen
From: Craig McQueen @ 2018-05-01  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ajlennon, yocto

Lately, I'm trying to upgrade to a later version of mono, 5.4.1.6. When I try to do a build of my Yocto image, bitbake gets to the end of building mono-native, and then gets an error:

ERROR: mono-native-5.4.1.6-r0 do_populate_sysroot: The recipe mono-native is trying to install files into a shared area when those files already exist. Those files and their manifest location are:
   /home/craigm/yocto/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/lib/mono/lldb/mono.py
 Matched in b''
 /home/craigm/yocto/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/lib/mono/4.6.1-api/System.Web.Http.SelfHost.dll
 Matched in b''
/home/craigm/yocto/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/lib/mono/xbuild/14.0/bin/MSBuild/Microsoft.Build.CommonTypes.xsd
 Matched in b''
 /home/craigm/yocto/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/lib/mono/xbuild/14.0/bin/MSBuild/Microsoft.Build.Core.xsd
 Matched in b''
 /home/craigm/yocto/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/lib/mono/xbuild/14.0/Microsoft.Common.targets/ImportAfter/Microsoft.NuGet.ImportAfter.targets
 Matched in b''
Please verify which recipe should provide the above files.
The build has stopped as continuing in this scenario WILL break things, if not now, possibly in the future (we've seen builds fail several months later). If the system knew how to recover from this automatically it would however there are several different scenarios which can result in this and we don't know which one this is. It may be you have switched providers of something like virtual/kernel (e.g. from linux-yocto to linux-yocto-dev), in that case you need to execute the clean task for both recipes and it will resolve this error. It may be you changed DISTRO_FEATURES from systemd to udev or vice versa. Cleaning those recipes should again resolve this error however switching DISTRO_FEATURES on an existing build directory is not supported, you should really clean out tmp and rebuild (reusing sstate should be safe). It could be the overlapping files detected are harmless in which case adding them to SSTATE_DUPWHITELIST may be the correct solution. It could also be your build is including two different conflicting versions of things (e.g. bluez 4 and bluez 5 and the correct solution for that would be to resolve the conflict. If in doubt, please ask on the mailing list, sharing the error and filelist above.
ERROR: mono-native-5.4.1.6-r0 do_populate_sysroot: If the above message is too much, the simpler version is you're advised to wipe out tmp and rebuild (reusing sstate is fine). That will likely fix things in most (but not all) cases.
ERROR: mono-native-5.4.1.6-r0 do_populate_sysroot: Function failed: sstate_task_postfunc
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/craigm/yocto/poky/build/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/mono-native/5.4.1.6-r0/temp/log.do_populate_sysroot.108358
ERROR: Task (/home/craigm/yocto/poky/build/../../meta-mono/recipes-mono/mono/mono-native_5.4.1.6.bb:do_populate_sysroot) failed with exit code '1'
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 670 tasks of which 662 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

I'm building with Yocto poky morty branch (currently commit 0e730770a9), meta-mono master (commit dced6635ca). I'm building on Ubuntu 16.04.4.

I have tried deleting the tmp directory, deleting all mono and mono-native from sstate, cleaning mono and meta-mono, etc, to no avail.

It's puzzling why I'm getting these errors, because it says "Matched in b''", so the files are not clashing with another recipe. It seems to be somehow trying to install its own files twice, or something like that. If I look under tmp/work/x86_64-linux/mono-native/5.4.1.6-r0/, then I see the files present in both:

sysroot-destdir/home/craigm/yocto/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/ and
image/home/craigm/yocto/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/

Is that part of the problem?

--
Craig McQueen

* Re: mono-native is trying to install files into a shared area...
@ 2018-06-07 23:51 ` Craig McQueen
From: Craig McQueen @ 2018-06-07 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig McQueen, ajlennon, yocto

I wrote:

> [...]
> rerun and 1 failed.

> code.
>

> I'm building with Yocto poky morty branch (currently commit 0e730770a9),
> meta-mono master (commit dced6635ca). I'm building on Ubuntu 16.04.4.
>
> I have tried deleting the tmp directory, deleting all mono and mono-native
> from sstate, cleaning mono and meta-mono, etc, to no avail.
>
> It's puzzling why I'm getting these errors, because it says "Matched in b''", so
> the files are not clashing with another recipe. It seems to be somehow trying
> to install its own files twice, or something like that. If I look under
> tmp/work/x86_64-linux/mono-native/5.4.1.6-r0/, then I see the files present
> in both:
>
> sysroot-destdir/home/craigm/yocto/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/
> and image/home/craigm/yocto/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/

I haven't had any success figuring out what is going on. I tried doing a new clean build, and got the same error.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it an incompatibility with Yocto morty, which I'm using? Any pointers on how to narrow down the cause?

--

@ 2018-06-12  3:35   ` Craig McQueen
From: Craig McQueen @ 2018-06-12  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ajlennon, yocto

I wrote:

> [...]
> > mono-native from sstate, cleaning mono and meta-mono, etc, to no avail.
> >
> > It's puzzling why I'm getting these errors, because it says "Matched
> > in b''", so the files are not clashing with another recipe. It seems
> > to be somehow trying to install its own files twice, or something like
> > that. If I look under tmp/work/x86_64-linux/mono-native/5.4.1.6-r0/,
> > then I see the files present in both:
> >
> > sysroot-destdir/home/craigm/yocto/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-
> linux
> > / and image/home/craigm/yocto/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/
> >
> > Is that part of the problem?
>

> I haven't had any success figuring out what is going on. I tried doing a new
> clean build, and got the same error.
>
> Does anyone else have this problem? Is it an incompatibility with Yocto
> morty, which I'm using? Any pointers on how to narrow down the cause?

I tried updating from morty to rocko, and no longer got this error. So it seems it's somehow an issue with meta-mono in conjunction with morty.

--

@ 2018-06-12  4:43     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2018-06-12  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig McQueen; +Cc: yocto, ajlennon

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 8:36 PM Craig McQueen <craig.mcqueen@innerrange.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> > > to be somehow trying to install its own files twice, or something like
> > > that. If I look under tmp/work/x86_64-linux/mono-native/5.4.1.6-r0/,
> > > then I see the files present in both:
> > >
> > > sysroot-destdir/home/craigm/yocto/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-
> > linux
> > > / and image/home/craigm/yocto/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/
> > >
> > > Is that part of the problem?
> >

> > I haven't had any success figuring out what is going on. I tried doing a
> new
> > clean build, and got the same error.
> >
> > Does anyone else have this problem? Is it an incompatibility with Yocto
> > morty, which I'm using? Any pointers on how to narrow down the cause?
>
> I tried updating from morty to rocko, and no longer got this error. So it
> seems it's somehow an issue with meta-mono in conjunction with morty.

That’s due to the fact that Rocko onwards OE switched to using recipe
specific sysroots

@ 2018-06-13  9:50       ` Alex Lennon
From: Alex Lennon @ 2018-06-13  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig McQueen; +Cc: yocto

On 12/06/2018 05:43, Khem Raj wrote:

> [...]
>     > > / and
>     image/home/craigm/yocto/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/
>     > >
>     > > Is that part of the problem?
>     >
>     >
>     > I haven't had any success figuring out what is going on. I tried
>     doing a new
>     > clean build, and got the same error.
>     >
>     > Does anyone else have this problem? Is it an incompatibility
>     with Yocto
>     > morty, which I'm using? Any pointers on how to narrow down the
>     cause?
>
>     I tried updating from morty to rocko, and no longer got this
>     error. So it seems it's somehow an issue with meta-mono in
>     conjunction with morty.
>

> That’s due to the fact that Rocko onwards OE switched to using recipe

Hey Craig,

There was an separate issue with the morty branch building which
hopefully I've resolved with a recent cherry-pick.

I'm not intending atm to update support for more recent releases of Mono
on Morty due to the issue you've identified above.

(This is because I think it's more valuable to put the time I have
available into supporting the current Mono release on master, T-P etc. -
which I'll hopefully be looking at shortly).

I'd be very pleased to receive PRs though if you have the time to
address this...

Cheers,

Alex

* Re: mono-native is trying to install files into a shared area...
@ 2018-06-20  7:46         ` Craig McQueen
From: Craig McQueen @ 2018-06-20  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Lennon; +Cc: yocto

From: Alex Lennon

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 8:36 PM Craig McQueen <craig.mcqueen@innerrange.com<mailto:craig.mcqueen@innerrange.com>> wrote:
I wrote:

> [...]
> morty, which I'm using? Any pointers on how to narrow down the cause?

I tried updating from morty to rocko, and no longer got this error. So it seems it's somehow an issue with meta-mono in conjunction with morty.

That’s due to the fact that Rocko onwards OE switched to using recipe specific sysroots

Hey Craig,

There was an separate issue with the morty branch building which hopefully I've resolved with a recent cherry-pick.

I'm not intending atm to update support for more recent releases of Mono on Morty due to the issue you've identified above.

(This is because I think it's more valuable to put the time I have available into supporting the current Mono release on master, T-P etc. - which I'll hopefully be looking at shortly).

I'd be very pleased to receive PRs though if you have the time to address this...

Thank you for the information.

What is the cherry-pick which hopefully resolved this issue?

I can’t provide a PR since I don’t understand the problem at this point. But, I agree it’s probably not spending effort on morty since I think its support will end soon. I’m in the process of updating to rocko.

Regards,
Craig

* Re: mono-native is trying to install files into a shared area...
@ 2018-06-20 14:37           ` Alex Lennon
From: Alex Lennon @ 2018-06-20 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig McQueen; +Cc: yocto