From: "Stéphane Ancelot" <sancelot@numalliance.com>
Cc: Sumitabh Ghosh via Xenomai <xenomai@xenomai.org>
Subject: Re: Qt application on Xenomai
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 08:55:57 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

I will share some points from my viewpoint :

The Xenomai impact will depend on the processor architecture selected
(uniprocessor or multiprocessor).

In uniprocessor context, while your rt application will consume cpu
time, meanwhile the other scheduled application will be waiting for
their time slice.

And thus GUI application is interrupted and may be slow in some cases
(that really depends on the impact of the RT process). In multiprocessor
context, this becomes no more a problem.

Performance is then dependant on the cpu architecture (x86/x64/arm...)
and their graphics chip device.

Depending on the graphics chip, the performance needed to drive a 19inch
size display is not the same as driving a 7inch size display.

There are two kinds of Qt applications these days : Native Qt and QML
applications.

* Qt is native and can use 2D OpenGL or display framebuffer,

* QML is no more than a javascript application layer running in a
javascript web engine , in this case you will be performance mainly
impacted by the QML architecture.

If your GUI application fits only few buttons in a display, then, that's
not a problem.

Regards.

Stéphane ANCELOT