From: Johnathan Mantey <johnathanx.mantey@intel.com>
To: Heyi Guo <guoheyi@linux.alibaba.com>, openbmc <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>
Cc: Ratan Gupta <ratankgupta31@gmail.com>,
	Nagaraju Goruganti <ngorugan@in.ibm.com>,
	Adriana Kobylak <anoo@us.ibm.com>,
	William Kennington <wak@google.com>
Subject: Re: phosphor-network: does it make sense to disable systemd-networkd sending DHCP release?
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 07:50:05 -0800	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1082 bytes --]

On 2/21/22 01:05, Heyi Guo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Now systemd-networkd will send DHCP release packet when BMC reboots.
> This may cause BMC to lose its original aquired IP after next boot up.
> I see this feature can be disabled by adding below lines to the
> configuration file of systemd-networkd:
>
> [DHCPv4]
> SendRelease=false
>
> Does it make sense to disable DHCP release? Or is there any reason for
> the current default configuration in phosphor-network?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Heyi

FWIW, users within Intel get very cranky when their IPv4 addresses
change. I'm presently working on a defect related to the IP address
being altered.

As it is unclear there is a run-time mechanism for changing this value,
I'd at least like to see a compile time control. I expect Intel will
choose to block sending a DHCP release request for when the BMC reboots.

--
Johnathan Mantey
Senior Software Engineer