On Wed, 2020-09-30 at 22:34 +0200, Andrew Zaborowski wrote: > On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 17:56, James Prestwood > wrote: > > On Wed, 2020-09-30 at 01:29 +0200, Andrew Zaborowski wrote: > > > On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 at 19:15, James Prestwood > > > > > > wrote: > > > > Instead could we just add a new group [WPA_S] or > > > > [WPA_SUPPLICANT] > > > > and > > > > have radN=. This would be consistent with how hostapd > > > > works, > > > > and still allows you to reserve radios for wpa_supplicant. And > > > > if > > > > we > > > > ever require wpa_s specific options in the future we may want a > > > > group > > > > for it. > > > > > > That's doable, but with wpa_supplicant we have to specify the > > > control > > > socket path inside the config file, so the setting would have to > > > be > > > something like "radN=,". I think I'd rather > > > avoid creating separate Wpas and WpasCLI classes, we could have > > > one > > > class handle both things whether it's created by test-runner or > > > by > > > the > > > individual test, are you ok with that? > > > > After looking at the wpa_s help yeah your right, when providing a > > config file you cannot provide a control socket via the command > > line. > > But I still dont see how doing radN=, would > > aid in > > that since would need to be in anyways. Or > > are > > you saying having it in both places and is merely to > > tell > > test-runner what value is already inside the config? > > Yes, the Wpas class needs to know what value was in the config file > so > that it can connect to the right socket, so I thought of providing it > through this setting. > > > We could append the control socket to the config file like I did > > with > > hostapd (see _rewrite_config), although I'll admit this is somewhat > > of > > a hack. But this does allow you to generate a control socket on the > > fly > > without the test or config file knowing about it. > > Oh, I didn't realize we were doing this. It makes more sense because > we don't duplicate the socket path information. We could use the > same > mechanism to avoid duplicating other information like the device name > and type in case of P2P or the SSID in case of hostapd but I wonder > if > it's easier to let the test generate the whole wpa_supplicant config > file. I don't really know much about p2p but if the test itself ends up needing to plug in a bunch of values then maybe it is better going in the test. No idea how many p2p tests will end up getting written, but if there ends up being lots of common test code then maybe we could decide then if it should go into test-runner itself. > > Best regards