On 06.11.19 11:18, Dietmar Maurer wrote: >> The thing is, it just seems unnecessary to me to take the source cluster >> size into account in general. It seems weird that a medium only allows >> 4 MB reads, because, well, guests aren’t going to take that into account. > > Maybe it is strange, but it is quite obvious that there is an optimal cluster > size for each storage type (4M in case of ceph)... Sure, but usually one can always read sub-cluster ranges; at least, if the cluster size is larger than 4 kB. (For example, it’s perfectly fine to read any bit of data from a qcow2 file with whatever cluster size it has. The same applies to filesystems. The only limitation is what the storage itself allows (with O_DIRECT), but that alignment is generally not greater than 4 kB.) As I said, I wonder how that even works when you attach such a volume to a VM and let the guest read from it. Surely it won’t issue just 4 MB requests, so the network overhead must be tremendous? Max