From: Andrew Rybchenko <andrew.rybchenko@oktetlabs.ru>
To: "lihuisong (C)" <lihuisong@huawei.com>,
	"orika@nvidia.com >> Ori Kam" <orika@nvidia.com>,
	"dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>
Cc: Stephen Hemminger <stephen@networkplumber.org>,
	Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>,
	Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@xilinx.com>,
	huangdaode <huangdaode@huawei.com>,
	"fengchengwen@huawei.com" <fengchengwen@huawei.com>,
	"liudongdong (C)" <liudongdong3@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: Question about pattern types for rte_flow RSS rule
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 12:40:32 +0300	[thread overview]

Hi, Huisong!

On 7/29/22 05:30, lihuisong (C) wrote:
> Hi Ori, and all,
>
> For RSS flow rule, pattern item types and RSS types in action
> are an inclusive relationship, and RSS types contain pattern item
> types.

I disagree with the statement. We can redirect various packets,
but apply RSS on subset only. Everything else goes to the first
queue (first entry in the redirection table in fact).

> Is it necessary to set pattern item types when specify RSS
> types to create a rule?

No, it is not strictly required. It depends on what you want.

> How should the user set and how should the
> driver do?

Pattern and action are not strictly related in the case of RSS.
Pattern defines on which packets the rule is applied.
Action defines what the rule does. If hash function is not
applicable to a packet, e.g. ARP packet and ipv4-tcp hash function,
the hash is 0 and goes via redirection table entry 0.

Andrew.