From: Richard Purdie <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org>
To: bitbake-devel <bitbake-devel@lists.openembedded.org>
Cc: Joshua Watt <JPEWhacker@gmail.com>
Subject: Cache timings with various changes
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 00:07:11 +0000	[thread overview]

I've talked about changing the data we cache in various forums. These
are some actual numbers from a local system (88 core):

Patch                   Full reparse time    Cache load time    Cache size (compressed)     Cache size (uncompressed)
-----                   -----------------    ---------------    -----------------------     -------------------------
master baseline         5.732s               2.261s             N/A                         24M
frozenset changes       4.326s               2.289s             N/A                         24M
pickle in one           4.509s               2.177s             N/A                         24M
compress with zstd      6.040s               2.204s             3.4M                        24M
add hash data to cache  9.693s               4.327s             17M                         83M

It seems the frozenset improvements I have speed things up nicely and
look like a good change. The compression does slow things down, as does
pickling the cache in one go.

The patches are in poky-contrib rpurdie/t222. I'll post the frozenset
one, the others look like they need more thought.

Cheers,

Richard