From: Eric Blake <eblake@redhat.com>
To: Max Reitz <mreitz@redhat.com>, Qemu-block <qemu-block@nongnu.org>,
	Kevin Wolf <kwolf@redhat.com>
Cc: "qemu-devel@nongnu.org" <qemu-devel@nongnu.org>
Subject: Re: qcow2: Zero-initialization of external data files
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2020 08:47:38 -0500	[thread overview]

On 4/9/20 8:42 AM, Eric Blake wrote:

>>> I'd argue that requiring the user to pre-zero the raw data file is
>>> undesirable; and that we should instead fix our code to not report the
>>> image as reading all zeroes when creating with data_file_raw=on.
>>
>> OK.  I think that could be achieved by just enforcing @preallocation to
>> be at least “metadata” whenever @data-file-raw is set.  Would that make
>> sense?
>
> Is a preallocation of metadata sufficient to report things correctly? If
> so, it seems like a reasonable compromise to me.  I was more envisioning
> a fix elsewhere: if we are reporting block status of what looks like an
> unallocated cluster, but data-file-raw is set, we change our answer to
> instead report it as allocated with unknown contents.  But with
> preallocation, you either force the qcow2 file to list no cluster as
> unallocated (which matches the fact that the raw image really is fully
> allocated) while not touching the raw image, or you can go one step
> further and request full preallocation to wipe the raw image to 0 in the
> process.

What happens when an operation attempts to unmap things?  Do we reject
all unmap operations when data-file-raw is set (thus leaving a cluster
marked as allocated at all times, if we can first guarantee that
preallocation set things up that way)?

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226