From: Paul Wise <pabs3@bonedaddy.net>
To: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: Krzysztof Opasiak <k.opasiak@samsung.com>,
	Matt Porter <mporter@linaro.org>,
	Andrzej Pietrasiewicz <andrzej.p@collabora.com>,
	Karol Lewandowski <k.lewandowsk@samsung.com>,
	linux-usb@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: proposal: move Linux userspace USB gadget projects to linux-usb GitHub organisation?
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2021 07:28:39 +0800	[thread overview]

On Sat, 2021-02-06 at 14:14 +0100, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

> I still don't see the benefit here, what is this going to change?

All the standard benefits of the GitHub organisations feature and
collaborative maintenance in general; a single location for related
projects, a stable location for projects that doesn't change as people
come and go, a single location for patches to go rather than a
collection of different forks, an easy way to continue maintenance when
people move on, not losing the issue and pull request database every
time there is a new fork, not having to change project name after forks
(see libusbg vs libusbgx), a focal point that leads to more usage and
code review as more people get involved.

> If Debian hasn't already packaged up any of these, that's a huge
> indication that no one actually uses them :)

I assume Android have their own thing but Samsung use them in Tizen,
Collabora use them and have a blog series on them. They haven't spread
outside of that due to poor marketing, every other situation seems to
use fiddly, manual and non-dynamic poking of files in configfs.

https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog/search-results.html?search=gadget&id=655&simplesearch_offset=0

> What projects are not in Debian already that somehow need to be
> there?

All the Linux USB gadget stuff is missing from most distributions; the
core projects libusbg/libusbgx, gt, gadgetd and individual gadgets such
as cmtp-responder, ptp-gadget etc.

With non-Android Linux based phones (Pinephone & Librem) starting to
get a bit of traction, packaging the core + gadgets is needed.

--
bye,
pabs

https://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/