From: "Jürgen Groß" <jgross@suse.com>
To: "Ian Jackson" <ian.jackson@citrix.com>,
	"Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk" <konrad.wilk@oracle.com>,
	"Stefano Stabellini" <sstabellini@kernel.org>,
	"Oleksandr Andrushchenko" <oleksandr_andrushchenko@epam.com>,
	"Roger Pau Monné" <roger.pau@citrix.com>,
	"Boris Ostrovsky" <boris.ostrovsky@oracle.com>,
	"Wei Liu" <wei.liu@kernel.org>, "Paul Durrant" <paul@xen.org>
Cc: xen-devel@lists.xenproject.org
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Stopping much Linux testing in Xen Project CI
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 18:06:09 +0100	[thread overview]

On 12.03.20 17:49, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Linux stable branches, and Linux upstream tip, are badly broken and
> have been for months.  Apparently no-one is able to (or has time to)
> to investigate and fix.
>
>    linux-4.4          218 days         to be suspended
>    linux-4.9          134 days         to be suspended
>    linux-4.14         134 days         to be suspended
>    linux-4.19         134 days         to be suspended
>    linux-5.4           55 days
>    linux-arm-xen     up to date
>    linux-linus        372 days         to be suspended
>
> These are times since the last push - ie, how long it has been broken.
> Evidently no-one is paying any attention to this.[1]  I looked at the
> reports myself and:
>
> Nested HVM is broken on Intel in all of the 4.x branches.

I was looking into the test failures multiple times, and always found
that problem. Honestly I don't see how this should be the kernel's
fault, so I rather quick gave up each time.

> Additionally:
>
> Linux 4.4 has some intermittent guest start failure for 32-bit PV.
>
> Linux 4.14 does not boot on 32-bit ARM.  There are also some 64-bit
> x86 migration failures.
>
> The most recent reports (last week or two) are afflicted by underlying
> CI problems - what look like sticky PDU relays, or what may be
> problems in the Debian mirror network (I have definitely seen problems
> there), so the reports are rather noisy.  Sorry about that.  I am
> trying to improve this situation but it is quite difficult [2].  But
> overall it is clear that the underlying code is broken.

I know I have said so before: I still think that our tests relying on
the Debian servers (and their ongoing support for a selected version)
is not the optimal setup.

Juergen