* Problem facing while running checkpatch.pl on linux-next tree
@ 2014-07-27  9:00 Rahul Garg
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Rahul Garg @ 2014-07-27  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi All,

I am trying to run checkpatch.pl on linux-next tree's staging folder.
But whatever sub directory, I try to run it on. It is giving me the
same error for all the files :

ERROR: Does not appear to be a unified-diff format patch

I thought that it might be a problem with my git. So I clone the git tree again.

So can anyone help me, what am I missing ?

Regards
Rahul

* Problem facing while running checkpatch.pl on linux-next tree
@ 2014-07-27  9:47 ` Sudip Mukherjee
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Sudip Mukherjee @ 2014-07-27  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Jul 27, 2014 2:31 PM, "Rahul Garg" <rahul.lnmiit@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to run checkpatch.pl on linux-next tree's staging folder.

what you are trying to check? a patch or style problem of any code??

> But whatever sub directory, I try to run it on. It is giving me the
> same error for all the files :
>
> ERROR: Does not appear to be a unified-diff format patch
>
> I thought that it might be a problem with my git. So I clone the git tree
again.

> So can anyone help me, what am I missing ?
>
> Regards
> Rahul

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Problem facing while running checkpatch.pl on linux-next tree
@ 2014-07-27 10:03 ` Yann Droneaud
From: Yann Droneaud @ 2014-07-27 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

Le dimanche 27 juillet 2014 ? 14:30 +0530, Rahul Garg a ?crit :

> I am trying to run checkpatch.pl on linux-next tree's staging folder.
> But whatever sub directory, I try to run it on. It is giving me the
> same error for all the files :
>
> ERROR: Does not appear to be a unified-diff format patch
>
> I thought that it might be a problem with my git. So I clone the git tree again.
>
> So can anyone help me, what am I missing ?

If it's not a patch, you have to use -f flag to check a plain source
file.

Regards.

--
Yann Droneaud
OPTEYA

* Problem facing while running checkpatch.pl on linux-next tree
@ 2014-07-27 18:08 ` anish singh
From: anish singh @ 2014-07-27 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Jul 27, 2014 2:01 AM, "Rahul Garg" <rahul.lnmiit@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to run checkpatch.pl on linux-next tree's staging folder.
> But whatever sub directory, I try to run it on. It is giving me the
> same error for all the files :
>
> ERROR: Does not appear to be a unified-diff format patch
Use -f for giving files as input
If you have a real patch then just give the patch name

> I thought that it might be a problem with my git. So I clone the git tree
again.

> So can anyone help me, what am I missing ?
>
> Regards
> Rahul

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Problem facing while running checkpatch.pl on linux-next tree
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-12-25 10:11 ` Jitendra kumar Khasdev
From: Jitendra kumar Khasdev @ 2014-12-25 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Rahul Garg <rahul.lnmiit <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to run checkpatch.pl on linux-next tree's staging folder.
> But whatever sub directory, I try to run it on. It is giving me the
> same error for all the files :
>
> ERROR: Does not appear to be a unified-diff format patch
>
> I thought that it might be a problem with my git. So I clone the git tree
again.

> So can anyone help me, what am I missing ?
>
> Regards
> Rahul

Dear Rahul,

It seems that while running ./script/checkpatch.pl you are missing flags.
I think try this command:

./scripts/checkpatch.pl --file --terse ./drivers/staging/comedi/drives/<your
file name>