From: "Enrico Scholz" <enrico.scholz@sigma-chemnitz.de>
To: Paul Barker <pbarker@konsulko.com>
Cc: bitbake-devel@lists.openembedded.org
Subject: Re: [bitbake-devel] Support for git+https://foo.example.com like URIs
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 16:58:02 +0200	[thread overview]

Paul Barker <pbarker@konsulko.com> writes:

> I'd implement this in an inverse way, add a new class for your
> projects, eg. my-project.bbclass:
>
>     MY_REPO_NAME ?= "${BPN}"
>     SRC_URI =
>     "git://foo.example.com/project/${MY_REPO_NAME};protocol=https"

yes; we did such a thing a other projects too and it is difficulty to
handle:

- beside name, you have to add ';branch=...' information somewhere too
  -> either add yet another variable, or add this to MY_REPO_NAME

- it breaks common SRC_URI usage; now you have to do the inherit thing
  and then 'SRC_URI += "..."'

- it is not universal; for every repository source you have to write
  such a class and/or add yet another variable.

A 'git+ssh://' like syntax is common and allows a usual workflow (just
add it to $SRC_URI) and does require introduction of dozens of extra
variables and/or classes.

Enrico