From: Detlev Zundel <dzu@denx.de>
To: u-boot@lists.denx.de
Subject: [U-Boot] Call for participation in the U-Boot Mini Summit 2014
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 18:46:54 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Lukasz,

[...]

> I'd like to share with the u-boot mailing list the proposal of my talk
> for u-boot's Mini summit in the ELCE2014.

Thanks a lot for the proposal.

> __Mainline u-boot for Tizen 3.0 - ?war story?__
>
> Abstract:
>
> Utilization of u-boot bootloader at Samsung's Linux powered platforms
> has a long history.  For Tizen 3.0 the reference devices for mobile
> profile (RD_PQ and Odroid U3/X2) are due to run with u-boot developed
> with open source philosophy applied. It means that the code was
> developed, reviewed and tested first in the open source and then
> reused in Tizen.
>
> Introduced changes to mainline code were minimal and only necessary for
> assuring backward compatibility. In his presentation Lukasz will
> briefly cover history and future plans of u-boot development for Tizen
> (as e.g. ongoing work on single binary for Odroid U3 and M0), explain
> key aspects of persuading community to accept solutions tunned for
> mobile devices, present remarkable u-boot's ?war stories? and give a
> handful of tips for successful cooperation with community.
>
> I would need around 25 minutes for talk and 5 more for discussion.

I really appreciate such a "war story" talk.  Actually I tried nudging a
lot of people to do such a thing but until now without any success - so
I'm all the more happy to see it finally appear.  I guess it will be
very instructive to share such inside experience on how to integrate a
decentralized open source component in a professional work flow.  Such
procedures have materialized around the Linux kernel, but the situation
is not so clear in the bootloader area that has traditionally seen a lot
of "fire and forget" strategies.

As I did not see any negative reaction to that talk, I'd say the talk is
accepted.

Best wishes
  Detlev

--
More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads.  One
path leads  to despair  and utter  hopelessness.   The other to total