* Backwards 11ac
@ 2016-10-30 20:50 James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2016-10-30 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

I recently received my turris omnia and put it into operation yesterday.

(It is only doing wireless; I have a different box for my main router.)

All of the machines on the wlan show backwards transfer speeds; they
upload reasonable fast but downloads are in the kbit/s range.

That applies to the both the 11ac-capable machines and the 11n-on-2.4
machines.

Luci's status/overview page shows 'Bitrate: 6 Mbit/s' for the ath10k and
'Bitrate: 61.5 Mbit/s' for the ath9k.

(The two wireless cards in it are:

01:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA986x/988x 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
)

Googling has not helped me figure out how to get propper bandwidth.
All of the search results were about wan links, not about wlan links.

What should I look at to diagnose this?

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6

* Re: Backwards 11ac
@ 2016-10-30 23:43 ` Sebastian Gottschall
From: Sebastian Gottschall @ 2016-10-30 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Cloos, linux-wireless

ath10k cannot show tx rates right now in a easy way. since tx rate
handling is done by the cards own firmware and not by the mac80211
wireless stack

Sebastian

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen / Regards

Sebastian Gottschall / CTO

NewMedia-NET GmbH - DD-WRT
Firmensitz:  Berliner Ring 101, 64625 Bensheim
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 25473
Geschäftsführer: Peter Steinhäuser, Christian Scheele
http://www.dd-wrt.com
email: s.gottschall@dd-wrt.com
Tel.: +496251-582650 / Fax: +496251-5826565

* Re: Backwards 11ac
@ 2016-10-31 18:35   ` James Cloos
       [not found]     ` <89dd7bd2-f6de-ea90-79ee-65d73d264522@dd-wrt.com>
From: James Cloos @ 2016-10-31 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless; +Cc: Sebastian Gottschall

SG> ath10k cannot show tx rates right now in a easy way. since tx rate
SG> handling is done by the cards own firmware and not by the mac80211
SG> wireless stack

Thanks for that info, but there is still the issue that download
bandwidth is limited to around 6 Mbps whereas upload bandwidth is around
50 Mbps.

-JimC
--

@ 2016-10-31 21:02       ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2016-10-31 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless; +Cc: Sebastian Gottschall

JC>> Thanks for that info, but there is still the issue that download
JC>> bandwidth is limited to around 6 Mbps whereas upload bandwidth is around
JC>> 50 Mbps

SG> thats unusual. i do not suffer from this issue with the latest driver
SG> code and also never had it. but as i said. the visual tx rate doesnt
SG> matter and isnt a reason for any issue here.
SG> its just a number

Those numbers above are actual throughput, tested via rsync/ssh.  Even
adding in the rsync, ssh, tcp and ip overheads that is still worse than
the 11n-40 on the 2.4 band.  And of course backwards.

Does anyone have any explanation for the backwards bandwidth or solution
for how to fix it?

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6