From: Sophie <just4pleisure@gmail.com>
To: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: WARNING at fs/btrfs/super.c:260 __btrfs_abort_transaction (error -17)
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 22:23:29 +0000	[thread overview]

On 24/03/15 17:34, Chris Mason wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Sophie Dexter <Just4pLeisure@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On 20/03/2015 15:19, Sophie Dexter wrote:
>>> I'm given to understand that this is the right place to report a btrfs
>>> problem, I apologise if not :-(
>>>
>>> I have been using my router as a simple NFS NAS for around 2 years
>>> with an ext3 formatted 2 TB Western Digital 2.5" USB Passport disk. I
>>> have been slowly moving to BTRFS and thought it about time to convert
>>> this disk too but unfortunately BTRFS is unreliable on my router :-(.
>>> It doesn't take long for an error to happen causing a 'ro' remount.
>>> However the disk is unreadable after the remount, both for NFS and
>>> locally. Rebooting the router seems to be the only way to access the
>>> disk again.
>>>
>>> I also have a 1 GB swap partition on the disk although swap doesn't
>>> appear to be a factor as the problem occurs whether or not swap is
>>> enabled (this report is without swap).
>>>
>>> I used my laptop to convert the fs to btrfs, not my router. My laptop
>>> has Fedora 21 with 3.18 kernel and tools. No problems are found when I
>>> use my laptop to check and scrub the disk (i.e. with the disk
>>> connected directly to my laptop).
>
> You have great timing, there are two reports of a very similar abort
> with 4.0-rc5, but your report makes it clear these are not a regression
> from 4.0-rc4.
>
> Are you able to run btrfsck on this filesystem?  I'd like to check for
> metadata inconsistencies.
>
> -chris

Hi Chris,

Haha, great timing is the secret of good comedy lol

OpenWrt has only very recently signed off the 3.18 kernel as the default
kernel for my router, I was using a build with 3.14 when I converted my
disk and saw the same problem :!: I may have posted something I haven't
repeated here in the OpenWrt ticket I opened:

https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/19216

I previously checked and scrubbed the disk when the problem first
occurred and happily no problems were found then. Although, I had to use
another computer because btrfs check doesn't complete on my router, the
process is killed due to lack of memory (btrfs invoked oom-killer) :-(
Should I start another topic for this or just accept that that problem
is due to a lack of memory?

I have just run btrfs check again using (yet another) laptop and I think
everything is still OK:

# btrfs check /dev/sdb1
Checking filesystem on /dev/sdb1
UUID: ########-####-####-####-############
checking extents
checking free space cache
checking fs roots
checking csums
checking root refs
found 930516788539 bytes used err is 0
total csum bytes: 1234353920
total tree bytes: 1458515968
total fs tree bytes: 54571008
total extent tree bytes: 66936832
btree space waste bytes: 73372568
file data blocks allocated: 1264250781696
  referenced 1264250781696
Btrfs v3.14.1
# uname -a
Linux ######-########-#### 3.16.0-31-generic #43-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 10
17:37:36 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Kind regards,
Sophie x