From: Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de>
To: Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
Cc: git@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Antw: Re: blank lines in pre-created merge message
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 15:00:38 +0200 (CEST)	[thread overview]

Hi Ulrich,

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019, Ulrich Windl wrote:

> >> [...]
> >
> >> Could anybody provide a rough overview how and where these editor
> >> comments are created?
> >
> > The best bet would be to call `git grep` with text in that pre‑created
> > merge message, preferably some text that is most likely fixed, i.e. that
> > does not depend on the current worktree/commit.
> >
> > If you give me an example of such a merge message, I can provide you
> > with the appropriate `git grep` call and the code locations to touch.
>
> Hi!
>
> Sorry for the delay:
> OK, here is an example where the auto-generated comment has two blank lines:
> ---snip---
> Merge branch 'shared'
> #
> # It looks like you may be committing a merge.

The command-line I used was:

	git grep "It looks like you may be committing a merge"

It points you to
https://github.com/git/git/blob/v2.22.0/builtin/commit.c#L827

As you can easily see, that message does end in a `\n`, (and also in the
other conditional arm, for cherry-pick), and it is printed via
`status_printf_ln()` (the `_ln` means that it adds another newline), and
in addition another newline is printed directly after that if block:

		fprintf(s->fp, "\n");

Since this extra empty line is bothering you, how about giving it a try
to fix it yourself? I guess the best bet is to delete the `_ln` from the
function call, as it avoids changing a message that was already
translated into about a dozen languages (and would have to be translated
again if you changed it, even if only to remove a trailing newline).

If this works for you, please follow
https://github.com/git/git/blob/v2.22.0/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
to contribute the patch to the Git mailing list.

Ciao,
Johannes